I love traveling to national parks and monuments, and I have discovered
a great fiction series that showcases the parks. I first found the books
in the NPS bookstore at Zion National Park. The series is called
Adventures with the Parkers, and the author is Mike Graf. The books are
great reads for students in grades 3-7. The books will appeal to both
our fiction and our nonfiction readers. The books balance a family’s
fictional adventures in a park with nonfiction factoids and maps. There
are color photographs, black and white photographs, and sketches in the
books, and all of these make the books very visually appealing to kids.
So far the Parkers have visited Bryce & Zion, Grand Canyon, Yosemite,
Yellowstone, Olympic, and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks. Glacier
and Rocky Mountain will be released in a matter of weeks. I googled the
author, and he has a website at mikegrafauthor.com that has descriptions
of the books’ plots if you would like to see them. I’ve enjoyed reading
the series very much!

Right now, for some reason, only books one and two have AR tests
available. Hopefully quizzes will be made for the others. My kids are
enjoying the books anyway!

Gay Jones, Librarian
Lubbock-Cooper South Elementary
16302 Loop 493