Thoight I'd share this:
My granddaughter (9) came to me with a book last night and said she didn't want to
read it because it looked boring and I could have it. I asked her where she got it
from and was told that one day when she was absent they got RIF books and someone
picked this one out for her but the cover just looked too boring. It's a Betsy
Byars book and the cover has two kids (dated looking) looking at a pool with a swan
in it. She pulled out other books she had received for Christmas or picked herself
to show me interesting covers ( She is an avid and above grade level reader).

I noticed that there was an award medal on the cover ( Newbery) and pointed out
that the book had won an award. From the other room my 12yr old grandson chimed in
with " if it won an award, it probably is boring!" ( not a reader unless you hook
him!) Hum? What does that say about the awards, who selects them and about keeping
books around just because they won an award in 1970 !?

Darlene Yasick
Retired LMS
Wyoming, MI