Hi all,

 I've had a couple of questions about the reading level of Gary Paulsen's new book
WOODS RUNNER.

Here's my feel for that:

  I never know where people's boundaries are so I'm going to give you some of the
toughest excerpts from the book and let you decide for your group:

This is after Samuel has had a wonderful meal with a couple in their home:

"Caleb and Ma came out onto the porch.  Caleb wasn't armed, though he raised his
arm and pointed at the soldiers.  He and Ma were immediately gunned down.    Then
four soldiers jumped to the porch and bayoneted them.  Annie exploded  out of the
house and ran toward the barn.  Three or four soldiers shot at her  but missed,
.....They took the boies of Caleb and Ma and dragged them back into the house.
Eight or ten men went in the house then and looted it, taking anything shiny and
all the food they could find.  Then they set fire to the house and barn and when
those were roaring with flames, the soldiers fell into formation and quick-marched
out of the yard, disappearing  down the trail."  "It had taken less than ten
minutes."

"Samuel was sickened by the cruelty, the absolute viciousness of the attack, and he
hunched over and retched. He felt that he should have run to Caleb and his wife, to
help in some way, but knew there was nothing he could have done.  He would have
been dead long before he'd got at them."
  "He was helpless.  He sat crying, watching the house and barn burn, the Hessians
gone like a plague.  Caleb and Ma.The food, eating together, how open and gentle
and pleasant and good  it had been to sit with them and talk.  Destroyed.  Gone.
Gone in this ugly war with these ugly men..  Gone and never coming back and there
was nothing, nothing, he could do or could have done to save them, help them."

 It's tough going.   The violence is a bit contained but the emotions run deep
Just like now some of the deepest wounds of war are in the angst of the survivors.

  I think eighth graders could handle it.

Let me know what you decide,
Barb

Join me on abookandahug.com