Thank you to everyone who contributed inspiring titles that would revive, refresh
and restore my love for this wonderful profession of ours.

I received an overwhelming response and now I have a great selection of books to
take a look at and read, especially the first five which were mentioned by more
than one person.  Several people mentioned children’s books, which I included at
the bottom of the list, and 2 people recommended books that are coming out soon.

Many many people requested a compilation. Here it is in no particular order:

THESE TOP FIVE WERE MENTIONED BY MORE THAN ONE PERSON, THE TOP TWO OVER AND OVER:

The fair garden and the swarm of beasts : the library and the young adult
by Margaret A Edwards
Chicago : American Library Association, 2002.

The book whisperer : awakening the inner reader in every child
by Donalyn Miller
San Francisco, Calif. : Jossey-Bass, ©2009.

Radical change : books for youth in a digital age
by Eliza T Dresang
New York : H.W. Wilson Co., 1999.

The power of reading : insights from the research
by Stephen D Krashen
Westport, Conn. : Libraries Unlimited ; Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, 2004.

The read-aloud handbook
by Jim Trelease
 Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England ; New York, N.Y. : Penguin Books, 1982.

THE FOLLOWING BOOKS WERE ALL MENTIONED ONCE:

Do it right! : best practices for serving young adults in school and public
libraries
by Patrick Jones; Joel Shoemaker
New York : Neal-Schuman Publishers, ©2001.

Reading don't fix no Chevys : literacy in the lives of young men
by Michael W Smith; Jeffrey D Wilhelm
Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, ©2002.

Drive : the surprising truth about what motivates us
by Daniel H Pink
New York : Riverhead Books, 2009.

Comprehension & collaboration : inquiry circles in action
by Stephanie Harvey; Harvey Daniels
Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, ©2009.

Libraries Got Game Aligned Learning Through Modern Board Games.
by Mayer, Brian; Harris, Christopher
Amer Library Assn 2009.

Educating Esmé : diary of a teacher's first year
by Esmé Raji Codell
Chapel Hill, N.C. : Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 1999.

Readicide : how schools are killing reading and what you can do about it
by Kelly Gallagher; Richard L Allington
Portland, Me. : Stenhouse Publishers, ©2009.

Books kids will sit still for 3 : a read-aloud guide
by Judy Freeman
Westport, Conn. : Libraries Unlimited, 2006.

Battling dragons : issues and controversy in children's literature
by Susan S Lehr;
Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, ©1995.

Shattering the looking glass : challenge, risk, and controversy in children's
literature
by Susan S Lehr;
Norwood, Mass. : Christopher-Gordon, ©2008.

Shadow and substance : Afro-American experience in contemporary children's fiction
by Rudine Sims Bishop
Urbana, Ill. : National Council of Teachers of English, ©1982.

The heart has its reasons : young adult literature with gay/lesbian/queer content,
1969-2004
by Michael Cart; Christine Jenkins
Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, ©2006.

Reading matters : what the research reveals about reading, libraries, and community
by Catherine Sheldrick Ross; Lynne McKechnie; Paulette M Rothbauer
Westport, Conn. : Libraries Unlimited, 2006.

Leadership and the new science : learning about organization from an orderly
universe
by Margaret J Wheatley
San Francisco : Berrett-Koehler Publishers, ©1992.

Thinking for a living : education and the wealth of nations
by F Ray Marshall; Marc S Tucker
New York : Basic Books, ©1992.

Teaching as a subversive activity
by Neil Postman; Charles Weingartner
New York, Delacorte Press [1969]

Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
by Kelly Gallagher
Stenhouse Publishers, c2004

Connecting boys with books : what libraries can do
by Michael Sullivan
Chicago : American Library Association, 2003.

Connecting boys with books 2 : closing the reading gap
by Michael Sullivan
Chicago : American Library Association, 2009.

You don't look like a librarian : shattering stereotypes and creating positive new
images in the Internet age
by Ruth Kneale
Medford, N.J. : Information Today, Inc., 2009.

From cover to cover : evaluating and reviewing children's books
by Kathleen T Horning
New York, NY : HarperCollins, ©1997.

This way to books
by Caroline Feller Bauer
Bronx, N.Y. : Wilson, 1983.

Developing and promoting graphic novel collections
by Steve Miller
New York : Neal-Schuman Publishers, ©2005.

Summoned by books: essays and speeches by Frances Clarke Sayers.
by Frances Clarke Sayers; Marjeanne Jensen Blinn
New York, Viking Press [1965]

Revolting librarians,
by Celeste West; Elizabeth Katz; et al
San Francisco, Booklegger Press, 1972]

Revolting librarians redux : radical librarians speak out
by K R Roberto; Jessamyn West;
Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., ©2003.

Principles of children's services in public libraries
by Mae Benne
Chicago : American Library Association, 1991.

Cushla and her books
by Dorothy Butler
Boston : Horn Book, 1980, ©1979.

Children's literature in the elementary school
by Charlotte S Huck; Susan Ingrid Hepler; Janet Hickman
New York : Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, ©1987.

Naked reading : uncovering what tweens need to become lifelong readers
by Teri S Lesesne
Portland, Me. : Stenhouse Publishers, ©2006.

Library partnerships : making connections between school and public libraries
by Tasha Squires
Medford, N.J. : Information Today, Inc., ©2009.

Literature for today's young adults
by Kenneth L Donelson; Alleen Pace Nilsen
Glenview, Ill. : Scott, Foresman, ©1980.

Book lust : recommended reading for every mood, moment, and reason
by Nancy Pearl
Seattle, Wash. : Sasquatch Books ; [Berkeley, Calif.] : Distributed by Publishers
Group West, ©2003.

More book lust : recommended reading for every mood, moment, and reason
by Nancy Pearl
Seattle : Sasquatch Books ; [Berkeley, Calif.] : Distributed by Publishers Group
West, ©2005.

Anne Carroll Moore : a biography by Frances Clarke Sayers
by Frances Clarke Sayers
New York : Atheneum, 1972.

Learning to question - to wonder - to learn
by Jamieson A McKenzie
Bellingham, Wash. : FNO Press, ©2005.

Everything I need to know I learned from a children's book : life lessons from
notable people from all walks of life
by Anita Silvey;
New York : Roaring Brook Press, 2009.

Through Indian eyes : the native experience in books for children
by Beverly Slapin; Doris Seale;
Philadelphia, Pa. : New Society Publishers, ©1992.

Sacred stacks : the higher purpose of libraries and librarianship
by Nancy Kalikow Maxwell
Chicago : American Library Association, 2006.

Why do they act that way? : a survival guide to the adolescent brain for you and
your teen
by David Allen Walsh; Nat Bennett
 New York : Free Press, 2005.

Connecting young adults and libraries : a how-to-do-it manual.
by Patrick Jones;
New York : Neal-Schuman, 1992.

Serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning teens : a how-to-do-it
manual for librarians
by Hillias J Martin; James R Murdock
New York : Neal-Schuman Publishers, ©2007.

The boy who would be a helicopter
by Vivian Gussin Paley
Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 1990.

Educating the other America : top experts tackle poverty, literacy, and achievement
in our schools
by Susan B Neuman;
Baltimore, Md. : Paul H. Brookes Pub. Co., ©2008.

Whatever it takes : Geoffrey Canada's quest to change Harlem and America
by Paul Tough
Boston : Houghton Mifflin Co., 2008.

Do hard things : a teenage rebellion against low expectations
by Alex Harris; Brett Harris
Colorado Springs, CO : Multnomah Books, 2008.

Mister Pip
by Lloyd Jones
New York : Dial Press, 2007.

The indispensable librarian : surviving (and thriving) in school media centers
by Doug Johnson
Worthington, Ohio : Linworth Pub., ©1997.

Who moved my cheese? : an amazing way to deal with change in your work and in your
life
by Spencer Johnson
 New York : Putnam, ©1998.

Feeling like a kid : childhood and children's literature
by Jerome Griswold
Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006.

Twenty-first-century Kids, Twenty-first-century Librarians.
by Walter, Virginia A.
 Amer Library Assn 2009.

Black belt librarians : every librarian's real world guide to a safer workplace
by Warren Davis Graham
Charlotte, N.C.: Pure Heart Press, ©2006.

Family storytime : twenty-four creative programs for all ages
by Rob Reid
Chicago : American Library Association, 1999.

Something funny happened at the library : how to create humorous programs for
children and young adults
by Rob Reid
 Chicago : American Library Association, 2003.

The way of the storyteller.
by Ruth Sawyer
New York, Viking Press [1962]

Reading magic : why reading aloud to our children will change their lives forever
by Mem Fox
New York : Harcourt, ©2001.

The Freedom Writers diary : how a teacher and 150 teens used writing to change
themselves and the world around them
by Erin Gruwell; Freedom Writers.
New York : Doubleday, ©1999.

Teaching the at-risk teenage brain
by Sheryl Feinstein
 Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, 2007.

CHILDREN’S BOOKS MENTIONED

Speak
by Laurie Halse Anderson
New York : Farrar Straus Giroux, 1999.

The day they came to arrest the book : a novel
by Nat Hentoff
New York : Delacorte Press, ©1982.

I am Jack
by Susanne Gervay; Cathy Wilcox
Sydney, N.S.W. : Angus & Robertson, 2000.

Less than half, more than whole
by Kathleen Lacapa; Michael Lacapa
Flagstaff, Ariz. : Northland, ©1994.

All-of-a-kind family.
by Sydney Taylor
Chicago, Wilcox and Follett, [1951]

Miss Rumphius
by Barbara Cooney
New York : Viking Press, [1982]

The librarian of Basra : a true story from Iraq
by Jeanette Winter
Orlando, Fla. : Harcourt, Inc., ©2005.

The storyteller's candle
by Lucía M González; Lulu Delacre
San Francisco, Calif. : Children's Book Press, ©2008.

Dear Miss Breed : true stories of the Japanese American incarceration during World
War II and a librarian who made a difference
by Joanne Oppenheim
New York : Scholastic, 2006.

The legend of Spud Murphy
by Eoin Colfer; Glenn McCoy
New York : Miramax Books/Hyperion Books for Children, 2004.

AND COMING SOON:

This book Is overdue! : how librarians and cybrarians can save us all
by Marilyn Johnson
Harpercollins 2010.

Teen-centered library service : putting youth participation into practice
by Diane P Tuccillo
Santa Barbara, Calif. : Libraries Unlimited, ©2010.

______________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Jerome Parker Campus Library
100 Essex Drive
Staten Island, NY 10314
voice: 718 370-6950 x1321
fax: 718 370-6960
psarles@schools.nyc.gov

"Ten guards and the warden couldn't have torn me out of those books. Months passed
without even thinking about being imprisoned....I had never been so truly free in
my life." - Malcolm X

"Some kids go to the library ... Others to the street. But they can't go to the
libraries if the libraries are closed." - Officer Dombranski, NYPD

"Kids are living stories every day that we wouldn't let them read." -Josh Westbrook

"The best morals kids get from any book is just the capacity to empathize with
other people, to care about the characters and their feelings. So you don’t have to
write a preachy book to do that. You just have to make it a fun book with
characters they care about, and they will become better people as a result." -
Louis Sachar

"Our schools are filled with kids who have been treated badly all their lives. They
don't tell anyone, because there is shame in being treated badly. Many-girls and
boys-have been sexually mistreated. Still others struggle in fear with sexual
identity. They respond with eating disorders, cutting, suicidal thought or action.
I can't tell you how many letters I've received from kids who found a friend in one
of my books, a character who speaks to them. And if I get those letters, think of
the letters Walter Dean Myers, or Lois Lowry, or Judy Blume get, thanking us for
letting them know, through literature, that they are not alone. In light of all
that, there's really only one thing to say to the censors. Shut up."-Chris Crutcher