Original Post:

I know I should know this, but it seems to have escaped from my memory.
When are the Caldecott and Newberry awards announced each year?  I have an
observation coming up and my 2nd graders at the moment are learning about
David Wiesner, so I thought that I could use him to teach them about the
Caldecott award.  Also, does anyone have a slideshow for elementary children
about the Caldecott.  My January is packed full of obligations and the
assistant principal just emailed everyone saying that she would like to get
all observations done in January as well.  Thank you to all of the experts
on LM_NET. I appreciate everyone's help with each and every question I ask.

I received more requests for hits than answers but here are the suggestions.
I also received one powerpoint. Thank You!! It’s a little too advanced for
second grade, but it’s a start!

Caldecott ideas:
I've gathered the winners and had students make guesses about how the
artwork was made.  I have a database of that info that a web-colleague
shared with me years back-- I'll attach it if I can find it.  Sometimes I've
taken the job of putting postit note inside each noting the media.

Last year's winner is a fun one since the media is so unusual.  I ordered
bookmark scratch kits from Oriental Trading and will be having my first
graders try that "artwork" in library classes.

Also, Mo Willems style of photograph-simple drawings mash-ups is fun to
duplicate with students.  I take several shots of our library and make
copies, then students draw kids/themselves doing various things, cut them
out and glue onto the photocopied pictures of our library.   1st grade? 2nd
grade and up.

http://www.colquitt.k12.ga.us/cchsmedia/documents.htm