From: sandracarswell@hotmail.com
To: tlc@txla.org
Subject: [tlc] Hit: GLBT Books and Junior High
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:59:43 -0500

Original Questions"
2 questions:

1. Regarding http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37877961/ns/today-books/

"Recent research in Texas, for instance, indicated a strong "I don't
serve those teens" attitude among librarians."

I'm wondering what research this was? Who was surveyed and by whom? Is this
from Sam Houston State since Dr. Lesesne was quoted in response to the
survey?

Okay, that's already more than 2 questions isn't it?
Anyway, my other question is

Are there GLBT books I should have in my 6-8 grade library collection? I
have about 9 books with the subject heading homosexuality-fiction. I realize
all of the books with homosexual characters won't have this subject heading
so I may have more books for these young teens. When I search reviews
however, they only suggest grades 9 and up or 8 and up at the very youngest.
I realize I can't always go by the reviewers suggestions but I also can't
read every book before purchasing it either.

So, GLBT books for middle schools? What do you think?

One would think that MSNBC would be more careful about such vague references
to "research in Texas"  !

I also am wondering about the research, my own informal research based
on talking with librarians and college students as well as searching
public library catalogs is there is a big hole in KY collections.

Here is what I put together quickly for you. Most of these are either on
the GLSEN list http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/booklink/7-12.html
or the ALA Rainbow Project lists.http://rainbowlist.wordpress.com/
It is not an inclusive list and each school or
library needs to read the reviews and the books if possible and then
make a decision if the book is right for their school - just like we do
for any book we order. Just be cause it is recommended by recognized
source doesn't mean it is a perfect fit.

Will Grayson will Grayson !,,,,,, totally Joe, misfits, and don,t miss the upcoming
glee series
Thank you!

Sandra Carswell, Librarian
S.C. Lee Junior High School