Doesn't have your answer to the artist's name but this is a great
promo for the book.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIsAIKiNgY
Sharron

At 5:45 PM -0400 7/3/10, BudNotBuddy@aol.com wrote:

>Richie's Picks: ART & MAX by David  Wiesner, Clarion, October 2010, 40p.,
>ISBN: 978-0-618-75663-6
>
>"When that fat old sun in the sky is falling,
>Summer evening birds are calling
>Children's laughter in my ears
>The last sunlight disappears
>And if you see, don't make a  sound
>Pick your feet up off the ground
>And if you hear as the warm night falls
>The silver sound from a time so strange
>Sing to me
>Sing to me"
>-- David Gilmour, 1970
>
>I've always found that any interactive educational  process, when it is
>working, is a two-way street.  The  teacher evolves through teaching just as
>the student grows through  learning.  The artistic teen with whom I shared
>this groundbreaking  picturebook believes it is even more generally the case
>that we are  all constantly changing through interaction with everyone with
>whom we  come in contact.
>
>"I can paint too, Arthur!"
>
>David Wiesner begins ART & MAX, a tale of two  reptilian artists and the
>transformative power of art, by paying a visual homage  to some of his
>adolescent inspirations: George Herriman, Pete Townsend, and  Pink
>Floyd.  Being
>someone with a lot of happy,  long-lived memories from 1970 -- age fifteen for
>  me, fourteen for Wiesner -- I am dying to know what the other three
>stacked-up record albums he's depicted are.  In  fact, I've emailed some old
>friends to see if they could figure  out the fifth one in the stack from the
>distinctive pattern  on its spine.  Nobody knows and now they are all waiting
>for the  answer, too.  (This is just like being back in high school, sitting
>around,  deciphering album covers...)
>
>"'Arthur?  What should I paint?'
>"'Well...you could paint me.'
>"'You?  Really?'
>
>Arthur is the master artist and Max is the rambunctious  beginner.  In
>playing the role of the wiseguy -- taking Arthur  literally and proceeding to
>cover him with  paint -- Max instigates a journey through the exploration of
>artistic media.  When Max covers Arthur with the paint, Arthur's fury
>causes the layer of paint to crack and then shatter, leaving Arthur
>depicted in
>a layer of pastels.  Then Max points a fan in his direction,  blowing away
>the pastels to reveal Arthur depicted in  watercolors.  Next, Max plies
>Arthur with water, which washes out  the watercolors to reveal
>Arthur depicted as
>a line drawing.  Grabbing  Arthur's tail, Max unwinds what is left of
>Arthur and ends up with a jumble of  thread-like line from which he
>then needs to
>reconstruct his mentor.   Arthur, of course, will never be the same again.
>
>"His eyes are the eyes that transmit all they  know
>Sparkle warm crystalline glances to show
>That he is your leader and he is your guide
>On the amazing journey together you'll ride"
> [...]

Sharron L. McElmeel  http://www.mcelmeel.com
McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcbookwords.com/
&
Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/yalit

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562
fax (319) 393-4749

NEW:
Best Teen Reads 2010 (HiWillow, 2010)
Picture That! From Mendel to Normandy: Picture Books and Ideas,
Curriculum and Connections-for 'Tweens and Teens (Libraries
Unlimited, 2009)
Columnist Library Sparks
(http://www.mcelmeel.com/writing).

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu