Richie's Picks: BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY by  Ruta Sepetys, Philomel, March
2011, 312p., ISBN: 978-0-399-25412-3

"When and where had the Soviets dragged my father away?   Was it on his way
to work?  Or maybe at the newspaper stand during his  lunch hour?  I looked
at the masses of people on the train platform.   There were elderly people.
 Lithuania cherished its elders, and here they  were, being herded like
animals.
"'Davai!'  An NKVD officer grabbed Jonas by the shoulders  and began to
drag him away.
"'NO!' screamed Mother.
"They were taking Jonas.  My beautiful, sweet brother who  shooed bugs out
of the house instead of stepping on them, who gave his little  ruler to
splint a crotchety old man's leg.
"'Mama!  Lina!' he cried, flailing his arms.
"'Stop!' I screamed, tearing after them.  Mother grabbed  the officer and
began speaking in Russian -- pure, fluent Russian.  He  stopped and listened.
 She lowered her voice and spoke calmly.  I  couldn't understand a word.
The officer jerked Jonas toward him.  I  grabbed his other arm.  His body
began to vibrate as sobs wracked his  shoulders.  A big wet spot appeared on
the front of his trousers.  He  hung his head and cried.
"Mother pulled a bundle of rubles from her pocket and exposed  it slightly
to the officer.  He reached for it and then said something to  Mother,
motioning with his head.  Her hand flew up and ripped the amber  pendant right
from her neck and pressed it into the NKVD's hand.  He didn't  seem to be
satisfied.  Mother continued to speak in Russian and pulled a  pocket watch from
her coat.  I knew that watch.  It was her father's  and had his name
engraved in the soft gold on the back.  The officer  snatched the watch, let go of
Jonas, and started yelling at the people next to  us.
"Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth?  That  morning, my
brother's was worth a pocket watch."

I know that some of you are going to be annoyed by my writing  about a book
that won't be out until 2011.  I certainly brought home enough  2010 titles
from ALA to keep me busy until next year.  But I was personally  handed
this one and asked to check it out, and once  I read a few pages (while
standing on line to get a book  autographed), I was compelled to keep reading for
days in order  to find out what would finally become of young Lina Vilkas
and her family.

One thing that is so fascinating and  horrifying about BETWEEN SHADES OF
GRAY is that the stories of what  befell all of these victims of Josef
Stalin's purge of the  Baltics were not revealed until the 1990s when -- a  half
century after this story takes place -- Lithuania, Latvia, and  Estonia
regained their national identities and independence upon the  fall of the Soviet
Union.  Until then, never-ending fear of  KGB reprisal muted any significant
revelation of the unspeakable  horrors that had befallen an unfathomable
number of innocent  victims.

One thing that is so disconcerting about BETWEEN SHADES OF  GRAY is the sad
realization that there always seem to be people  like Stalin and there
always seem to be people willing to follow these awful  leaders.  So many of us
put our hearts and souls into trying to stop  bullying and trying to
counteract prejudice and ignorance amongst  young people and it is just so hard to
read a book like this that, page after  page after page, is so heart
achingly real and, unfortunately, is  based on the horrible things that people
really did to one another.

Sometimes it just sucks to be human.

So it felt as I sat on the grass of the high  school football field amongst
my neighbors, awaiting darkness and the  fireworks, wracked with audible
sobs of relief, my eyes dripping when   -- near the end of the story, when all
seems lost -- something finally,  finally goes right for Lina Vilkas, her
little brother Jonah, and their  similarly half-dead fellow captives.

Fifteen year-old Lina is an extraordinary young artist.   She and Jonah are
the offspring of a Lithuanian university provost who is  willing to help
and advise his neighbors.  This earns him a  sudden trip to a prison camp on
one train full of men and qualifies  his wife and two children for a spot in
a packed cattle car full of other such  lowlifes (like teachers and
librarians) that departs Lithuania, stops for a few  months in a prison camp, and
then proceeds (with those still left  alive) to deliver Lina's family and
neighbors to the Arctic wastelands  where they are made to freeze and starve
while their captors party it up and  periodically torture them.  Being that
this story is based upon the  author's own ancestral history and her extensive
meetings with now-elderly  Lithuanian survivors, the degree to which there
is a happy ending here is a  realistic one: there are some characters who
will, in fact, actually  survive to someday tell what happened to them.

And there are unlikely heroes.  As Lina conveys  her story through words
and through her drawings (that we can see through  her vivid descriptions of
them) we slowly come to realize, along  with Lina, that many of the
characters we meet are not black or  white.  They are shades of gray and are just
trying to be okay.

I love the fear and skepticism that make Lina so real.   She is one of
those Angela Chase-like characters who carefully observes and  chronicles and
asks why.  It is not often that she speaks up and her  instincts are not
always correct.  She is a character  who now lives in me.

I spend a lot of time reading and writing about  books.  BETWEEN SHADES OF
GRAY is one of those books that reminds  me how well spent that time is.

Richie Partington,  MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who  hope he
will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was  written after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains  these review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu