Richie's Picks: FORGE by Laurie Halse  Anderson, Atheneum, October 2010,
304p., ISBN: 978-1-4169-6144-5

"How many years can some people exist
before they're allowed to be free?"
-- Bob Dylan

"'Stop there! the boy yelled.
"The redcoat glanced behind him, caught his foot on a  half-buried root,
and fell hard.  His musket flew from his hand, but he  quickly crawled to it.
"'You are my prisoner, sir,' the boy declared in a shaky  voice.  'Lay down
your musket.'
"The redcoat had no intention of becoming a prisoner.  He  pulled out a
gunpowder cartridge, ripped it open with his teeth, and poured  powder into his
firing pan.  His hands were shaking so violently that most  of the powder
fell to the ground."

The question that had come to me shortly after my  beginning to read FORGE,
and which continued to bug me was: How exactly  does Laurie Halse Anderson
write historical fiction so that it can  be so easily read; so well enjoyed;
and in such a  manner that readers can connect so readily with characters
who  lived so long ago?

"Stop!'  The boy brought his musket up to  fire.  'I swear I'll shoot.'  He
wiped his right hand on his breeches,  then cocked the firelock and slipped
his finger in the trigger guard.
"The redcoat fumbled in his shot bag for a lead  musketball.
"The boy squeezed the trigger.  His flint hit the empty  firing pan with a
dull click.  The musket didn't fire.  He'd  forgotten to prime his pan.
"The redcoat pulled out his ramrod.
"The boy grabbed the cork out of his powder horn.
"My palms were sweating, my eyes going back and forth trying  to figger who
would win the race to load and shoot."

How does she do it?  It seems to come down  to the employment of
straightforward sentences of moderate length;  details that provide a sense of the
characters being young people just  like the young people we know -- for better
or for worse  -- in our own lives; and a lot of great scenes, both  tense
ones and humorous ones.  Solid writing skills  that synergize into page after
page of exceptional and accessible  story about the historic past.

That Laurie Halse Anderson's award-winning historical  fiction can be so
easily read also permits readers to more  readily comprehend how what happened
a long time ago can  still have such significance today.

Maybe these conclusions to which I've arrived are obvious  things you
already know, but that question had really been bugging  me.  I have always been
attracted to historical fiction, but the  Revolutionary-era tales I read
during my own young years always led me  to feel that the characters
encountered had a lot more in common  with Early Man than they did with me.

In contrast, here in FORGE, every time Curzon violently  (and endearingly)
twists his own ear to remind himself to stop once  again thinking about
Isabel (our heroine from CHAINS who has saved his life  at the end of the first
book and with whom he loses contact), we realize that,  deep down, this is
just like us doing the boy-girl thing back in high  school.

"I twisted my ear so often in the weeks that followed, it  swelled like a
puffball.  Did me no good; I still thought about  Isabel.  Her face has
poisoned my mind the way the cold had taken hold of  my bones."

FORGE is set amidst the 1777-8 winter encampment that  Washington and his
troops established at Valley Forge, northwest of  Philadelphia.  As she did
so effectively in CHAINS, Anderson again begins  each chapter with intriguing
quotations she has compiled while doing research  for these books.  The
writers of these quotes include unknown foot  soldiers as well as a who's who
of interesting and important Revolutionary  characters like Paine, Gates,
Washington, Rush, Laurens, Morris, (Mrs.)  Adams, and Lafayette.

"'It would be useless for us to denounce the servitude to  which the
Parliament of Great Britain wishes to reduce us, while we continue to  keep our
fellow creatures in slavery just because their color is different from  ours.'

Signer of the Declaration of Independence Dr. Benjamin  Rush, who purchased
William Grubber in 1776 and did not free him until  1794."

Of course, the underlying question FORGE prompts, as  did CHAINS, is: Who
was actually gaining freedom through this  Declaration of Independence and
subsequent war, and why was it not  everyone?

"How many times can a man turn his head
pretending he just doesn't see"

The failure of the Founders to provide the  appropriate answers to these
questions; their permitting the  continued enslavement of humans somehow
justified through a difference  in skin color is, of course the number one cause
of America's failure to  ever live up to its true potential.  The treachery
that befalls  Curzon here in FORGE is part of an ever-present thread that
can be  followed from the Revolutionary era right into our own  lifetimes.
Those who held power amongst the  revolutionaries, along with leaders and
constituents who have  come in the intervening generations since, all bear
responsibility for  the horrors with which I've spent my life living: the brutal
memories  I both witnessed in person as a little child, and viewed again and
 again on the nightly news.  These are the despicable and nightmarish
things  that have been said and done throughout our nation's history to people
of color and those of good conscience in retaliation for their  standing up
for what was and is fair and just.

"My head laid itself on the table and I was no longer master  of my own
body, of my head, of my heart and somewhere my father was angry and I  did not
know how to explain.  My eyes closed themselves.
"I will kill Bellingham."

All that I will say about the last section of the book  (in the spring when
the privies filled by ten thousand soldiers start to melt,  causing the
birds to start flying around the encampment instead of over  it) is that the
story really cranks into overdrive and that  I finished up FORGE with a huge
smile on my face.

Are any of you still wondering whether there  is some let-down in this
middle book of the trilogy?

Ha!  With Laurie Halse Anderson in command?  Not on  your life!

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who  hope he
will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was  written after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains  these review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu