Hi all,

I want to highly recommend an offering by a lady I really respect in the
field of Internet safety. Sharon Cindrich is the author of Plugged In
Parent. One time Sharon, Larry Magid (Connect Safely) and I were
scheduled to speak in a presentation on Capital Hill. Larry and I have
known each other for a long time - and are on the same "wavelength" of
the need to focus on actual research and empowerment of youth and
parents. We made plans to meet with Sharon - for dinner - Thai. Sharon
came to the meeting very afraid she was going to meet two
fear-mongerers. We have been good friends since.

I strongly encourage you to consider her materials for your school
newsletters. You will not be sorry.

Here is her announcement:

*Plugged-In Parent*  is a monthly column that provides answers to
parents' most pressing tech questions, strategies for making technology
work for families and resources to benefit children from toddlers to
teens - and parents too.

As the former editor of a parenting magazine, I understand how difficult
it is to produce a top notch magazine on a shoe string budget. As the
parent of two tech-savvy kids, I understand how difficult it is to
manage the technology that saturates family life. That's why I've
designed my column with to include these features:

*Editor-friendly structure:* My Q and A format includes two questions
each month, each running between 300 and 400 words. Editors are free to
use the content in anyway to meet their editorial needs.

Practice advice: Is Hulu.com for kids? Any new ideas on how to manage
video game time? How can I get my carpooling moms to stop talking on
their cell phone when they drive my child to school? My babysitter
posted photos of my kids on her MySpace page - what should I do?

These are the kind of practical, day-to-day questions today's parents
ask - and Plugged In Parent provides the answers.

*More technology: *While the Internet is a major topic in the columns,
they also cover cell phones, video games, GPS technology, MP3 players,
and television.

*Broader age groups: *Plugged In Parent offers advice for parents of
children in every age category - from teens and tweens, who seem to
elicit the most concerning issues, to families with young children who
want to foster healthy family tech habits in the toddler and early
elementary years.

*More online resources:* PluggedInParent.com offers up-to-date news,
tips and links for families each month. Check out the site and the most
recent column at PluggedInParent.com.
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103563967049&s=210&e=0014NrvyJO92bfmos4A8vJJG5b1D_BjEX5v5QS6KyvKCCPS8jEJibEDFP93NRqUe5zI2dLAipncmjnT3vobQyMSi-FgDs9r6C-abND4XCAeyYwuzx4GU2IzFQ==>

Nancy
--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Resources for Cyber Savvy Schools:
Cyber-Secure Schools in a Web 2.0 World
Cyberbullying, Cyberthreats & Sexting
Cyber Savvy Teachers: Internet Safety Education

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu