Richie's Picks: A GOOD HORSE by Jane Smiley,  Knopf, October 2010, 256p.,
ISBN: 978-0-375-86229-8; Libr. ISBN:  978-0-375-96228-8

"I have finally found a way to live just like I  never could before
And I know I don't have much to give, but I can open any  door.
Everybody knows the secret, everybody knows the  score
I have finally found a way to live in the color of the  Lord."
-- Eric Clapton

"I went upstairs and did my homework, then took a bath and  went to bed.
As I was lying there, I could hear the front door slam  through my open
window, and I knew that Daddy was going to check out the horses  one last time.
I realized, of course, that I could pray.  We prayed  for all sorts of
things.  But there were rules about praying, and one of  them was that you could
not petition the Lord.  You could not decide what  you wanted and then pray
for that.  You always had to pray for the right  thing to happen, and, as
anyone could tell you, the right thing to happen wasn't  always the thing you
wished for.  Personally, I always wondered if breaking  this rule about
petitioning the Lord meant that you were less likely to get  whatever it was you
wanted than you would have been if you hadn't petitioned the  Lord.  Rules
were rules, as everyone knew, and breaking them was a risky  business."

It is a pleasure to experience what  Pulizer Prize-winning author Jane
Smiley brings to her writing for middle  schoolers.  A GOOD HORSE certainly has
a style that sets it  apart.

I recently read and wrote about a cyber thriller for which I  was
unfamiliar with some of the technical terminology and processes.  Yes,  it's a long
way topically from cyber coding on the run to weaving  through a series of
jumps on a course while sitting on a horse but, as  with that cyber thriller,
A GOOD HORSE is written in a manner that my lack  of technical knowledge did
not interfere with my full  enjoyment of the story.  And while there might
be some young  readers who become a bit restless with Smiley's descriptions
of Abby  Lovitt's preparing for and then navigating the various jumps on her
horse,  or the recollections of Abby's playing a adverbial charades game
during a  sleep over, I really enjoyed how these details significantly add to
our understanding of Abby's world in the Sixties.  I am similarly impressed
 by the author's ability to repeatedly provide some real insights  into
adolescence without becoming the least bit didactic:

"As for Alexis and Barbara, they were friendly, but they  weren't my new
best friends or anything.  They still bustled down the hall  in the morning
rather than huddle with other kids around their lockers.   They still sat at
their own table for lunch and didn't invite others to sit  there, though they
were perfectly nice if anyone did.  In fact, one of the  amazing things
about the Goldman twins was that they didn't change -- they were  always
themselves.  Now that I'd been to their house, I saw that that  was the way the
whole Goldman family was.  Maybe if you always did what you  wanted to do,
then you always were who you wanted to be."

A GOOD HORSE is a coming of age story set in northern  California in the
Sixties.  It is told from the point of  view of eighth-grader Abby, who lives
with her strictly religious  parents, and the horses they are raising.
Unfortunately for the  family, a beautiful young colt named Jack -- who was born
on their farm and  who is Abby's pride and joy -- might have ended up in
their hands (through  no fault of theirs) as the result of a crime.

Abby's parents receive a series of letters from an  investigator who is
looking into the claim that a mare that Abby's father  purchased the previous
year on an out-of-state trip to buy more horses  might have been part of a
group stolen from a ranch in Texas.   The stolen mare that might or might not
be the same one purchased by Abby's  father was in foal, having being bred
-- at considerable cost  -- to a Belmont stakes winner.  The question is
whether that  (now-deceased) mare her dad purchased is, in fact, that stolen
mare,  which would then give the victims of the theft an interest in the
beloved colt,  possibly in both a legal and a moral sense.

To witness the struggle that Abby's parents go  through at one point in
order to justify their permitting Abby to ride  in a show on the Lord's day, is
to understand that these are people who  won't be taking any moral
shortcuts or hiring a sharp lawyer for the sake  of maintaining possession of the
colt.

As we also come to see, an avenue through  which one can quite readily view
the differences between  those of substantial wealth and those of more
modest means is by way  of the world of horsemanship.  We observe one of Abby's
peers  being in the position to demand -- without a second thought or
hesitation -- her parent's acquisition of Black George, the Lovitt's  finest
adult horse.  This gelding is an animal into  which Abby and her father have, on
a daily basis for years, poured  considerable time, love, and energy.  This
potential sale  accentuates what we see about Abby's life -- how she does
not have a lot of clothes that fit her right for school, no less
properly-fitting attire for horse shows.  The Lovitt family would  profit
handsomely
from this potential transaction, but it  is, nevertheless, an eye-opening
situation.

As is also the case with a scene in which Abby, during  her stay-over with
the Goldman twins, experiences her first bagel, first poppy  seeds, and
first lox.

I, myself, plead guilty to sometimes forgetting that not  everyone in
America gets to grow up in a cosmopolitan community.   While I am quite aware
that not everyone can afford to stop for  just-out-of-the-oven bagels (and that
there certainly are not decent bagel  places in all corners of the country)
I did find that  I'd assumed that even back in the Sixties everyone at
least knew what  they were.  And so it made me (who grew up across town from
Holling  Hoodhood) recognize the need to remember how diverse our  country
really is (and was).

"'We don't get to keep the really good ones, no matter how  much we like
them.'  He caught my eye.
"I said, 'I know that, Daddy.'
"He said, 'We all know that.'
"Well, we did know that, but it was a lesson I kept having to  learn."

This book is actually the sequel to Smiley's THE GEORGES  AND THE JEWELS
which is set over the previous school year (when Abby  is in seventh grade).
I certainly enjoyed this very  different piece of historical fiction more
than enough to go back now  and read the previous book next.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who  hope he
will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was  written after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains  these review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu