For those who wanted me to share results, sorry it's taken so long!  The unanimous
suggestion was to paste the slides into Windows Movie Maker although you will lose
animations.  Thanks to everyone who responded!  Here are the hits:

I've just been starting to work with my new Windows 7 Program "Windows DVD Maker",
but I think it can be done (although I haven't done it yet).

Step 1

Save your powerpoint as PNG files.  It will save each powerpoint slide as an
individual picture in its own folder automatically.

Step 2

Open Windows Movie Maker and import all the pictures in the "Capture Video" area
and drag them or copy them into the collections area.  Lengthen or shorten the
amount of time it spends on each slide, add music and narration in appropriate
places.  (Make sure if you're not going to complete the work in one sitting that
you first create a folder so that all the files can be kept in the same folder, or
the program will not be able to find the files back.)

Step 3

In the "Finish Movie" area: Save the finished file to your computer.  (Once you
have a finished file you can save it anywhere, the program does not need to look
for your picture and music files anymore.)

Step 4

Open Windows DVD Maker

Add the Movie maker file, using the add files button

Then burn the dvd.

I save all the slides as jpegs and then inset them into my Nero program that I use
make DVD's.  I can set the length of each picture with the Nero program.  I assume
you can do the same with Windows Movie Maker but I never had any luck with using
that, probably because I didn't try that hard.  My Nero program is easy to use.
There are a lot of other software programs out there that will let you create video
slide shows.

Chris if you are wanting your PowerPoint to show on  a DVD player, pull your slides
into movie maker and if you have a computer that is a Vista, there is movie maker
and Windows DVD burner. Publish your movie and choose to burn it as a DVD. This
renders it playable on a DVD because it is no longer seen by the DVD player as a
computer file, but as a DVD file.

You should be able to drop the PPT slides into Movie maker and make a movie that
can be burned onto a dvd and looped.
You may have to save each ppt slide as a jpeg.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have used powerpoint with my students to create short movies that can be saved as
DVD playable files.  There are a few features that don't transfer (such as animated
clip art and other animation features that are embedded within powerpoint). Use
powerpoint to create a series of static slides and then "save as" jpg or gif
images.  These static images can then be imported into windows movie maker or
photostory3 both of these are free downloads from Microsoft.  Once they are in
these movie creating applications you can then add slide transitions, and narration
and/or music.  Photostory3 is much easier for young children to use as it walks
users through step by step.

Windows Movie Maker is a bit more powerful, and will allow the insertion of video
elements as well as still images.  Both these programs export files in a movie
format that can be processed by most DVD players or DVD creating programs.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu