HI all, thank you for your input. Here are the responses I got.

1. check archives. (use different search terms start with 6th gr)

ญญญญญ

2.             1.  Cite sources--I use the citation machine or EasyBib.

2.  Dewey--but by looking items up online

3.  Wikis

4.  MovieMaker--to create book trailers

5.  Blogs

6.  Genres

7.  Summarization

3. They need to know WHY we have to give credit for works used. They don't
realize that this includes photos, graphics, song lyrics, etc.

Use a rubric for evaluating research sources, especially online sources. Be
sure to explain the diffs in edu. org. .gov  etc

You may want to use a Web Quest on copyright issues. Browse around.

4. I'm back in school working on an MLS now, but I taught middle schoolers
for fourteen years! Oh, a diagnostic quiz on research, citations, creditable
sources (at their level, using topics relevant to them, etc) would be cool.
IT could even be T F.

These things might take a lot of work, but of course they could be re-used.

5. If you "have" to teach research skills, then I would focus on evaluation
of sources (especially web sites) and citing sources, copyright, and
plagiarism. If you have the option of being more flexible with your
curriculum, I would include Internet safety, including cyberbullying, social
network sites, etc.

I found good material on the internet but was very choosy what I used. I
began the year by having a question and answer section to find out what each
class knew about the library, as they were from several different schools
and I wanted to know where they were at as far as library skills. After the
question and answer section and the visual tour of the library, I gave them
all a big sheet of graph paper with colored pencils and had them draw a map
of the library, labeling the sections. I spent the rest of the year going
through the sections in the Dewey Decimals system with lessons on each. For
the technology classes, I taught them about Internet safety (great resources
available online), and "online etiquette", how to prepare an electronic
presentation (using several mediums), and I designed a wiki (using PBworks,
in which they each could post a book review on an assigned book complete
with graphics and their own summary.

It was fun and they were very enthusiatic learners.

6. http://mslearning2.csla.net/

7. Google Joe Cool Joe Fool to get the website for Media Awareness out of
Canada
for some ideas about Internet safety, how much info to post is too much,
etc.  I
use it every year with my 7th graders.

8. Use TRAILS-9 pre & post testing - it's great with easy reports to pull up
quickly.

9. See Information and Tech Skills at this link:

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/acre/standards/

10. I've given up teaching as much on what's in a book, in-depth Dewey and
atlases.  I've just put together a new listing for my teachers based on BIG
6.  Here's a few:

Brainstorming topics when it isn't stated by the teacher

Location of sources:  print, non-print & on-line.

Using paid databases, different search engines, on-ine encyclopedias, &
dictonaries.  (How to get into paid databases)

Taking notes from books in different forms:  Using a two-column notepage,
using templates of different forms;

Bookmarking

Bibliography -  written and computer-generated

11. I stress skills for authenticating websites-- how to find and choose
reliable sources. I think this is one of the key research skills for 21st
century learners.

No longer spend much time on Boolean seaching (AND, OR, NOT.)  No longer
spend much time on using the more esoteric types of print research sources
(Dictionary of Literary Places; Ready-To-Copy Maps from WW2 Battles, Texas
Almanac, Big Book of Flags.)  I might mention that these types of things
exist, but if they need it for a project, they are going to be looking for
it on line.

12. Just started doing an internet safety unit and media literacy skills.

13. I teach my students how to cite books, magazines, encyclopedias, online
sources, and online encyclopedias.  When we are done with that, I show them
the easier way by using easy bib or looking for the citing in the article or
webpage.  But first they must start at the beginning looking for title,
author, publisher, copyright date, and place of publication.

Another topic is searching.  When students get on the internet, their
searching skills can always be improved.  Teach them key word search, use of
" ", use AND, narrow their search to sites ending in edu and gov.

Also, don't forget to read to the students once in a while.  I read to them
about 15-20 minutes a month.

Judith Haberman

LMS

jdhread@gmail.com