Hi -

I just graduated in May and got my first job (non paying)!

I am starting to tutor K-5 children from the Hispanic Community at a
local outreach center.

There is a small collection of books. (I am guessing 100-300). Plus some
CDs. The director asked me if I would be able to organize it, create a
check-out system, and an inventory (perhaps database) of all she has.

All the kids speak English and most of the books are in English.

I could use some pointers on how to approach this.

1. Any free cataloging/inventory software?

2. If not - would a database program like ACCESS be adaptable for
inventory/classification, etc.?

3. How would you handle the physical layout? Group by subject with all
reading levels or group by reading level? Or genre?

4. What about check-out - old fashioned way of pulling the card?
Sign-out sheet?

I saw where some books had stickers on them indicating 4th, 5th grade etc.

I am guessing that some students are reading below their grade level, so
I'd like to see something where the kids can quickly find a book at
their level. They really won't be able to log on to a catalog or
anything to look up reading levels.

No money to buy anything.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
--

Mary Cravens, MLIS
recent graduate, North Carolina Central Univeristy

(919) 772-5486

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu