Aviva, I have two books for you to consider donating to a kindergarten
class:

An older book (1991 England/1995 US), but worth considering, is
"Cleversticks" by Bernard Ashley. This is a great book for encouraging those
little folks who just haven't found their special talent yet. It also has a
range of ethnic/racial diversity portrayed among children, parents, and
school staff at the kindergarten.

Last week I shared "Adventure Annie Goes to Kindergarten" by Toni Buzzeo
with my kinder classes. It's Toni's second book starring Adventure Annie,
and my students seem to love this one just as much as the first! It's also
brand new, so it won't be a duplicate.

Our kinders got such a kick out of Annie's super hero outfit (especially the
boys!), her exuberant personality, and of course they really related to
being chosen as a special helper. Annie's preparation (she just happens to
have her walkie-talkies on hand!), planning, and persistence pay off yet
again by solving the mystery of the missing milk wagon and tracking down the
lost students sent out to collect it!

Although we shared this at the end of the year rather than at the beginning
(the story revolves around Annie's first day of kindergarten), it was a lot
of fun for the kids to think back about their first day of kindergarten -
their anticipation, excitement, and feelings, their wonderment at how big
the school seemed, etc., and now how much they've learned and matured.
They're also at a place in their experience to see the value and wisdom of
classroom rules - something Annie is in the process of learning!

As in the first adventure, Annie's mother is the only parent to make an
appearance, so this book lends itself well to children who come from single
parent homes, or those perhaps where one parent is not currently around
(serving in the military, etc.). Annie's ethnicity isn't distinct - she (and
Mom) could easily have any number of ethnic identities. In Southern
California with so many "blended" ancestries (especially Hispanic/Anglo),
this is a real plus. Having a gentleman kindergarten teacher, a black
principal, and students from a variety of ancestries pictured is a welcome
reflection of many of our school communities today.

Joanne Ladewig  (A.K.A. "Library Lady")

Library Media Tech

Lawrence Elementary, GGUSD

Garden Grove, California

shatz@verizon.net

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
was once like in the United States where men were free.

 <http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Ronald_Reagan/> Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comments are my own and may not represent the views of GGUSD

What is a great read aloud type book to donate to the in-class library of a
Kindergarten class? It is mostly 5 year olds, turning 6. Looking for
something somewhat different, that the class wouldn't have already. Thanks
for your help!

Aviva Adler
Librarian,
Shevach High School