Yes - some in the library world have been oblivious to the systemic
change brought about by new technologies.  But many have been on the
forefront of  that change.  Doug Johnson, Joyce Valenza, Buffy Hamilton,
Cathy Jo Nelson - just to name a very few.

I recently read a blog post, and saved it to think and write about in
the future.

Here are some excerpts:

Be an agent for the customer: Hospitality Revisited
http://tinyurl.com/2g5sbn3

...the difference between Agents and Gatekeepers ...(from Danny Meyer’s
book, "Setting the Table")

"An agent makes things happen for others. A gatekeeper sets up barriers
to keep people out. We’re looking for agents... did I present myself as
an agent or a gatekeeper? In the world of hospitality, there’s rarely
anything in between."
I think the librarian as "agent that makes things happen" is where we
should be.  And the library should be the place where everything
happens.  Librarians are the ones in the strongest position to be an
agent for change in our schools.  We know the curriculum, we know the
teachers, we know the students, we know the technology. The library
should be the place where we move heaven and earth to bring all these
things together to educate students. If gates and barriers are put up in
front of students and teachers, it is the librarian's job to find a way
around, over or under those barriers to bring kids together with the
tools they need to become 21st century creative learners.

I plan to ask myself this question frequently in the future:  "In this
situation, am I an agent or a gatekeeper?"

Jacquie

"Without a dedicated guide,[students] end up as “feral children of the
Internet raised by the Web 2.0 wolves.” (Professor Henry Jenkins -
http://tinyurl.com/yl6haum)

“Will my child graduate with a 21st century resume, or a 19th century
transcript?” (Forbes Magazine - http://tinyurl.com/yl6haum)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)