Hello Everyone and HAPPY SUMMER!

I have gotten a lot of email from people asking for help creating book
trailers to share with BTFA—which is AWESOME!  Now that it’s summer, it
seems people are finding the time to learn the process.

While we’ve all learned as we’ve gone along with respect to book trailer
creation, and the ins and outs of attributing images, I think we’re at a
point where we can agree that individual attributions are needed.  Whenever
possible, please give as much information as possible about each
image—*including
the image URL*.

I am about the furthest thing there is from an expert on copyright—in fact,
I feel so inept it’s not even funny—but I do know we have to be careful and
respectful of the intellectual property of others.  I realize we have a few
trailers at BTFA that list only usernames in the citations—these were
created months ago, and I just don’t have the heart to ask the creators to
redo them—in all honesty; the speed at which BTFA has taken off is mind
boggling to me.  I think the most responsible thing I can do from this point
on is try and be as careful as I can, with regard to image citations.

*From this point on, I will no longer be accepting book trailers that use
only Flickr or Google usernames as attribution.*  There is a document in the
documents folder at 4shared called “Finding and Citing Flickr Images in CC
for use in Book Trailers”.  There is also a power point slide called “Works
Cited Slide Template.”  (To use this slide, just edit out the image
information with the image information from your new image, save the slide
as a jpg and insert it into your project) Here is the link to the Documents
folder:  https://www.4shared.com/dir/PRNw7eNo/Documents.html

It is very important when attributing to state that the images were used
with permission and to provide citations— even if you use a site other than
those covered under CC licensing.  Even if something is from the public
domain, it’s my understanding that you still have to state that in your
citation.

I hope everyone understands.  My main purpose with this particular email is
to reach the first timers who have never created a trailer.  Once you create
your first trailer and get a system going, it’s not difficult at all—please
don’t let citing images be the thing that holds you back from creating a
trailer.  J

Have a wonderful, productive, and blessed summer!

~Teresa

--
Teresa Schauer
District Librarian/Pettus ISD