An English teacher at my school would love to know the name of this book she read
when she was younger. Any ideas? I haven't found it yet. Thanks!

Genre: Fantasy Fiction

The story begins as a teenage girl goes to live somewhere away from home.
(Because, I think, her parents are dead, and her sister is either being courted by
someone of nobility, or is working in the palace.)  There is some mystery about the
forest she travels through on her way there, and the head
of the household is a young man with a little daughter or younger sister, I'm not
sure which one.  One day the little girl goes missing.  Most people think the
protagonist wasn't watching her closely enough, and that she fell down a well...but
it turns out she was taken by elves that live
underground.  The well is actually one of the "entrances" into the elven kingdom.
Eventually the protagonist ends up in the elven kingdom, living as a servant.  The
elven queen is cruel and calculating, but over time, teaches the protagonist some
skills, including the ability to move with grace
(she used to be incredibly awkward and clumsy).  At some point the protagonist
discovers the elves are planning to sacrifice the little girl on Midsummer's Eve.
In the end, the little girl is rescued.  When the protagonist's sister comes to
visit, the protagonist thinks the young man will fall in
love with her beautiful sister...instead, of course, he's fallen in love with the
protagonist.

S. Kimball Perkins,  MLS, M.Ed
Librarian, Simon Middle School, Hays CISD
perkinss@hayscisd.net
512-268-8507 ext. 2526
http://simonlib.edublogs.org/
http://simonms.edublogs.org/

"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." - Logan Pearsall Smith

“Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but
because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” G. K. Chesterton

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu