Hello All,
       My school just had a wonderful visit with author Adler.I am an
elementary school librarian and you can guess, the students are Cam Jansen
crazy so the event was very exciting.  Mr. Adler did a wonderul job, he even
kept my 5th and 6th graders interested and engaged  I sold almost 200 signed
copies of Adler's books (with the help of a great Barnes & Noble manager).
So where is the issue you might ask?  Mr. Adler came to our school on one
day, slept over and went to another school in the district on the next day.
He charged $2500 for us and $2400 for the other school.  In total he did 4
sessions, we had a breakfast AND lunch for him, so it was a packed day.  The
other school had a parent who worked at a local motel so we were able to put
Adler up for the night w/o any cost.  When he presented his bill to the
second school he added $125 for milage, tolls and his dinner.  The other
teacher I worked with said it was in the original contract and that she had
told me but I was shocked !!  In this time of budget cuts and austerity,
every little bit spent makes such a difference.  I had to embarrassingly go
to my parent group and ask  for more money.  I thought this was over the
line and really unacceptable.  I guess if I knew this from the beginning it
would not have been so bad, but it really left a bad taste....

Roberta Ferris
Gardnertown School
Newburgh, New York  12550
roberta.librarygoddess@gmail.com