Ladies and Gentlemen:
It was with justifiable indignation that many of us railed about our absence
from the Education Reform Bill that was published last month. Here is your
opportunity to voice your opinion. Please do not assume someone else will do
it for you. Tell your elected representatives what libraries mean to you,
your students, and your community. Point out that President Obama made a
well-stated speech back in October about the importance of Information
Literacy and 21st Century Skills - that is OUR job. Let's make sure they
know it! (Be firm, provide examples, but please also be polite! - we want to
sway them with intelligent argument...)

Lawmakers announce a plan for a bipartisan overhaul of education law
Democratic and Republican leaders of the U.S. House of Representatives’
Committee on Education and Labor announced plans February 18, 2010, for a
bipartisan reform of ESEA. A series of hearings will be held in the coming
weeks to explore the challenges and opportunities. The committee’s first
hearing, focused on charter schools, will be held February 24. Stakeholders
can send their input and suggestions on reauthorization to the committee at
ESEAcomments@mail.house.gov. The deadline for comments is March 26.

--
Susan Grigsby, Teacher-Librarian
Past-President, GLMA