Bob Hicks wrote:
> Believing this might stimulate interest and discussion, I first
> submitted this to "School Library Journal" but to no surprise they could
> not find space for the article.
> Bob-- Sorry you didn't receive a reply previously. Our editorial
> schedule is set for 2010 and, unfortunately, we do not have an open
> position for your article. Thanks you for submitting it.--Phyllis.

I've been thinking about this off and on today. On the one hand, we
librarians tend to be early adopters of new things, and it comes as no
surprise that we are the ones pushing for subscription online databases.
On the other hand, books aren't as easily taken out of service. My
school is out in the country, but right on a major highway. We've had a
tornado pop out of the sky literally across the road from us. We've had
vehicles knock out electricity. We've had ice storms knock out all
electricity in the county. We've had construction workers uproot phone
lines. No matter what the problem, though, the books were available to use.

As I look at the pile of today's returned books, most of them are
fiction books. Kids are still reading, but they are using nonfiction
books less. Missouri recently revised our periodical standards to
reflect the fact that periodicals are not as necessary for research
anymore because the State provides us with access to several quality
databases. As they come up for renewal, I'm evaluating each periodical.
If it is used frequently, I'll keep it. If not, I'll drop it, and add
another title that is more likely to appeal to my students.

Are school libraries irrelevant? Not in my mind. A library is simply a
place where a person can get what they need, whether it be fiction or
nonfiction, pleasure reading or serious research. Many libraries will
report that _Consumer's Reports_ is one of the most-used periodicals
they have. Why? Their information is NOT available on the Internet. It
may be that in the future they will follow the lead of _The Wall Street
Journal_ and make some content available for free, while other content
is by subscription only. When that happens, they may decide to save some
money and drop the print version. Until then, though, the print copy is
still going to be in demand.

Way back in the 1960's and 70's, when computers were first showing up,
the prediction was that they would eliminate the need for paper.
Everything could be done on the computer. How has that worked out in
your school? We have a storage room here that is packed with boxes of
paper in August. We're out of some colors of paper now (with three
months of school yet to go), and we can see the end of other colors. By
the time summer school comes around in June teachers will be fighting
each other for the last of the paper.

Has the computer lived up to the promises that were made 40 years ago?
No. Has it exceeded the wildest dreams of 40 years ago? Yes. The
computer is simply another tool in our toolkit to help our students,
faculty, staff, and parents find what they are looking for.

Several years ago, a couple of freshmen girls came to me and asked if I
knew anything about computers. When I admitted that I did, they
explained that they were having some difficulty with the computer in
another room. As they explained the problem, I was pretty sure that I
knew what needed to be done, but I decided to have a bit of fun with
them. I grabbed my Precision Computer Attitude Adjusting Tool and went
with them. They traded terrified glances with each other as we went down
the hall. I spoke sternly to the offending computer, set the tool on the
top of it, and proceeded to type the correct command. The computer
promptly behaved, I took my tool with me, and left them staring at the
computer. Had they been working in the library, where I could have seen
them, the problem would have been solved in the time it took them to
walk to the library.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian