Original Query:
I am helping a High School teacher who is looking for a book that would work well
as an anchor text for reluctant readers.  The book should be about making choices.
There will be a large selection of choice books later, but this would be a book
that the whole class would read together.  So far I have considered

Whirligig
Unwind
The Hunger Games

Do any other titles come to mind as a great selection for this theme?  Thanks so
much.

13 Reasons Why is a great book.  I enjoyed it.  There is only one or two
parts where there is some sexual content.    It is about a girl that
commits suicide and there are 13 reasons for it.  She records it on tape
and 13 people (reasons) are suppose to listen to it.  Our students like it
too.

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

an older title, but still a winner. V ery popular with reluctant readers: Go Ask
Alice

Baby by Joseph Monninger (really powerful)
The Compound by S. A. Bodeen

What about The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian? The main character
makes the decision to leave the life he knows on the reservation for new
opportunities in the "white" world.

I'm still reading it
If I Stay (Gayle Forman)

One Good Punch by WallaceMarijuana is found in a high-achieving student's locker,
does he admit that it might be his or pretend like he was just 'holding it for
someone else?' If I Stay by FormanChoosing between passing on to the next life
after her brother and parents are killed in an accident or if she wants to live.
What I Saw and How I Lied by BlundellHistorical fiction about making a choice about
good or evil based on what she learns about her father's dealings with a mysterious
fellow. This Is What I Did by Ellis8th grade student who witnessed a crime and
didn't report it. Should he have?

How about Touching Spirit Bear or Define Normal?

Gracie's Choice is a movie not a book, but it would be a great option for what you
are looking for. you could also try Leslie Connor Waiting for Normal, Melinda
Marchetta Jellicoe Road. Good Luck

Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins is about an Indian teen who, following a family
tragedy, makes a choice that could mean the end of her personal happiness but will
secure the future of her older sister and mother.  A winner.

I just read "Painting the Black" by Carl Deuker for my YA Lit and Resources
class and it seems to fit what you are looking for pretty perfectly.
Here's a link to it on Amazon so you can read the description:

http://www.amazon.com/Painting-Black-Avon-Camelot-Books/dp/0380731045/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267571913&sr=8-1

I like "Peak" by Roland Smith.

Beth Martin
Teacher Librarian