I already talked to the classroom  teacher and she encouraged me to follow through,
but I wonder if YOU, Library teacher colleagues,  think I should send this to the
music teacher and principal.  Did I just have a bad day?  What would you say
instead  of this rambling and whining?
Marcia

"(this particular 5th grade class) had a really rough start in library class today.
 No offense to anyone, but I have a hard time getting this group to focus and work
to expectations on any given day.  Today our difficulties were compounded by the
absence of 6 students at the outset of class.
I admit I didn't handle it all that well and it's no excuse but it's very
frustrating to accomplish all that we should be in our 30 minutes classes (I'm sure
that you feel the same, music teacher) - so I should have just forged ahead.
Instead I asked where the six were and then questioned the late arrivals.  3 were
finishing tasks from music and one was "with a mentor." Two may have been actual
absenses, but I probably shouldn't have opened that up to questioning as I did when
students started straggling in   As we kept trying to get started, the usual
suspects are "caught" making poor choices, taking advantage of the distractions and
then choosing to give me what they think are reasons for their choices.  After all,
I was asking late arrivals for their excuses...
Again, I'm not blaming anyone or suggesting a magical cure.  I just think this was
the worst of the scheduling woes for this year (we were cut to 30 minutes from 40
in order to add Spanish)  and think it points out how it definitely does not serve
our struggling students well to be passed from special to special to repeat the
errors they made in the first (being late, not getting work done.)
Just as I got my next class scheduled for a better attempt at same lesson - (whew -
fresh start!)  - 2 had to leave for band lessons.  They did so with minimal
distraction to their credit, but it just makes me wonder how many students I can
really affect.

Good thing I don't have to give grades (?)  Perhaps library skills should be
collaboratively taught with classroom projects for more even coverage of the ITL
standards I'm trying to address? "

Marcia Dressel, K-5 Librarian @ the
Elementary and Intermediate Schools
Osceola, WI