Thank to everyone for some awesome ideas and input!  Here are the responses:

Our girls made posters that used that format. They typed information and could draw
or write on it is well.

It was a great success--one section had to be a works cited section that I had to
approve.

***

This may be of use:
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6025698

***

Why not use a template of a facebook page and they can either handwrite the info or
fill  it in on the computer. It doesn't have to be live. The kids will be more
interested if it is like facebook I think.

***

Hi! I had saved some info that had been shared about this same topic. The link to
my google docs document is below.
I'd love to see any hits you get for this!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ASmF29ivaUMPZGdoZGd4NW5fMTY3cjk5eHFrZm0&hl=en

***

Edmodo has a very similar interface to Facebook. Since it is designed for schools -
it is generally not blocked by the filters.

***

Good morning,
We used "Farcebook" for a 7th grade Middle Ages project.   More info on my wiki
linked below.
http://lopezlibrarylearning.wikispaces.com/

***

Ours just created web pages.

***

We have a teacher here who did the same thing a couple of years ago in MySpace. It
was quite successful - the "characters" had to post on each other's pages while
staying in character. I think it went really well - it certainly makes the students
come to an understanding of the plot and characters in a book.

***

We did this with a MySpace page for Walk Two Moons.  MySpace pages generally play
music so they had to come up with a song the character would probably listen to as
well.  They had to leave 'wall messages' as if they were from friends about what
kinds of things friends would say too.  We're limited with technology here, but the
layout was through Microsoft Publisher.   You could also do this on PowerPoint (and
since most kids have that at home, it's easy for them to work on in two places).

***

hi - do you have apple computers?  If so, do you have iweb?  I am currently doing a
project with my 5th graders on explorers where they make an iweb (webpage using a
template) as if it were the explorers myspace page and they fill it out with true
and "inferred"/imagined information that the explorer might post.  ie. for Ponce de
Leon they'd write a paragraph explaining why "i ponce" am famous.  Under favorite
vacation spot: DisneyWorld* .  The * tells me the student knows it's a joke but it
has to have some basis in fact.  For some italian explorers they might write
favorite food: spaghetti*, favorite movie Titanic*.  For some under friends they
might write another explorers name if they truly were friends, books - the one they
wrote themselves, etc.  It's pretty 21st century.  Photos/maps etc come from
wikimedia commons with links for credit.  They link to good websites about the
explorer.
Even if you didn't have apple/iweb you could have them make it with a word doc.

***

Last year I created a template in Pages (we have Mac's) and the students went in
and created a CharacterBook page (I've attached a pdf example).
I also learned ReadWriteThink
(http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/student-interactives/profile-publisher-30067.html)
 created a profile publisher that might work for your teacher.

***

I am actually planning this as a project in the spring but for social studies.  I
got the idea from the teachers discovery catalog - they sell posters for famous
people (including authors) called "farcebook."   Right now the plan is to create a
template using microsoft publisher that follows the format of facebook and as done
in the posters.  If you google search farcebook posters you will see them.

Carrie Fox
Librarian
South Park High School
South Park, PA