SCHOOL-LIBRARIES.NET: April 2010 Report

March was a good another good month for School-Libraries.net.  We
added 34 new school libraries to the database.  Check out the new
libraries at:
http://www.corecollections.net/SL/new.htm
So far this year 168 libraries have been added. We are well on our way
to meeting aour goal of 300 new libraries. If your library is not
included please become a part of the world’s largest directory of
school library web sites.
http://www.standardcatalogs.com/forms/contact.htm

Again, this month we added a new country, Indonesia.

We also added a new state coordinator:
ARIZONA
Kerrlita Westrick, L. Thomas Heck Middle School, Litchfield Park, Arizona
kerrlita@cox.net
We still have many states needing a coordinator.  If you are interested contact

Please continue to let us know about dead links by using our dead
links by using our report dead links form
http://www.corecollections.net/forms/deadlinks/deadlinks.htm

Each month we award a star to one or more library web sites that we
feel are outstanding.

Web Site of the Month

This month we give a star to:
Escobedo Middle School Library jstratton@pvlearners.net
for the general layout and for the variety of information included.
We also were impressed by their program which takes canned food for
local food cupboards.  We hope this program will be a model for other
schools.

Naples High School Library Media Center http://collier.k12.fl.us/nhs/lmc/
For its neat, informative web site design, but especially for its SOAR
Seen Outside Reading program.

Evergreen Middle School Library
http://cms.everett.k12.wa.us/evergreen/library/, a sparce, beautiful
wevsitewith a well organized list of resources.

They say that imitation is the highest form of praise. If so then we
have arrived.  An academic librarian has contact us for advise in
starting a similar site for college and university libraries.  This
site is considering providing links to instructional aids prepared by
librarians to assist students in using library resources.  This will
be of interest to many high school librarians, who may want to link to
these.

Final thoughts. We have noticed a number of library sites have
sections for parents.  Some have friends groups, others book
discussion groups for parents or for parents and teens together.
During these days of budget stress, it is important to cultivate every
potential group of supporters.

--
Raymond W. Barber
rwbarber@gmail.com