I posted a request for suggestions on working with a new principal who has
never worked with a librarian before.  Below are the hits I received.
 Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.  I appreciate it very
much.

Aside from the obvious services, I feel like I help the principal in many
ways:

Public Relations:  I hold many exciting and unusual events that involve
parents and the community.  Often the press and TV want to cover these
events, proving valuable and positive PR for the school.  I am an ambassador
for the building inn many ways.

Web Presence: I maintain a vibrant well-used web page, as well as social
networking on behalf of the school. This strengthens our home-to-school
bond.

Staff Development: I am an early adopter of emerging technologies, and model
their use, both informally, and formally. I am teaching staff as often as I
am teaching kids. I provide curriculum related bibliographies and provide
expertise to prioritize purchasing for the school, whether it's books,
supplies, or equipment

District Obligations: I serve on a variety of committees for the district,
and coordinate all technology placements, improvements, or changes

.

Grant Writing: I try to bring revenue and resources into our building by
applying for and managing numerous grants

Miscellaneous: If there are official reporting obligations for our building,
for example our Indian Ed    initiative,  I'm the one who is put in charge.
 I'm good at writing in educational jargon!

I hope this helps!

****************************

You might want to meet with him and give him a copy of one or two studies
that show how important school libraries are to student success.  Also, tell
him about how you collaborate with teachers.  How you conduct book talks and
get students interested in reading that have never finished a book before.

You might want to talk about programs that you have run for students,
parents and the community.

--
Louise Colette Leonard, B.A., M.L.I.S.
Library Director