Hi all, I just received this announcement from the FTC for some great
curriculum resources on advertising. The FTC is doing excellent work in
the creation of educational material. I hope you have also looked at
their NetCeteria guide for parents on Internet safety.
<http://www.onguardonline.gov/topics/net-cetera.aspx> Also for high
school students, this OnGuardOnline site will provide excellent
instructional resources.

> We thought you might be interested in the Federal Trade Commission’s
> newest program for educators, students, and parents: *Admongo*.
>
> Advertising to American kids is nothing new. But the Internet and
> other technologies have taken kids’ exposure to it to new levels: ads
> are virtually everywhere. That’s why the FTC created Admongo, a new
> campaign to raise advertising literacy among the nation’s tweens.
> Admongo is designed to equip kids ages 8 to 12 with critical thinking
> skills they can use to understand advertising messages. Watch the
> video <http://ftc.gov/multimedia/video/advertising/admongo-intro.shtm>
> or read the announcement <http://ftc.gov/opa/2010/04/admongo1.shtm>
> from the FTC for more information.
>
> Teachers can use *Admongo.gov <http://www.admongo.gov/>* – a
> game-based website – as well as a free curriculum
> <http://www.admongo.gov/curriculum.aspx> for 5^th and 6^th grade to
> help their students recognize, analyze, and understand advertising.
> (The curriculum, developed with Scholastic, meets national standards
> for language arts and social studies.) Other free resources include
> sample ads <http://www.admongo.gov/ad-library.aspx> to use in the
> classroom and several family activities
> <http://www.admongo.gov/parents.aspx>.
>
> We hope you’ll check out Admongo.gov <http://www.admongo.gov/> and
> share the game and other free resources with colleagues, students (or
> any tween in your life), and parents. Admongo is in the public domain:
> You can link to it, grab graphics for your website, and use the
> information in a blog post or newsletter.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org