Wow- I've been swamped with requests for how I do the bookswap-

So to make things easier, I'll reply to the whole list.

Here is a copy of the letter I sent home to parents explaining the
procedure when I did it over Christmas break.

Hope this answers your questions!

I'm glad you are all interested!

 Dear Parents,

In order to encourage your student to read over the long vacation, we
will be holding a book-swap the last full week of school (December
14-18) during your student's regular library time. Here is the way it
works:

Students bring in books that they have read and enjoyed, that they are
willing to give away; books will not be returned. Books should be in
good shape and an appropriate reading and interest level, something they
would share with a classmate. Students may bring in as many books as
they wish, but will only be allowed to take home 6. Extra books may be
donated to the swap for future use, or credit given to a classmate who
did not bring any books in. Books are left in a container in the
classroom, and a record is kept of the number of books each student
brings in.  Books should not be swapped at this point.

On the day of the swap, the container of books and list are brought to
the library. There is an additional cart of books that will be added to
each class's books. Library cart books are from previous swaps and
donations, not the library shelves.  Students then swap one for one-
they may choose one book from the swap for each they bring in. Books are
swapped one for one, or two paperbacks for 1 hardcover.

This system has worked well in the past, and seems to prevent most
problems.

It is a great opportunity to "weed" your student's collection to make
room for new books, and to encourage reading over the holidays.  Let me
know if you have any questions or concerns. You can email me through the
school library website.

Thanks,

And a happy holidays to all your family.

Betci Weldon

Librarian

 Elmwood School

Betci Weldon