P.S. 230 Library wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how some of you might handle books that many children want
> to borrow (think Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid--no matter how
> many copies I own, it's never enough!).  Do you make a list?  Electronic
> holds through your automation system?
>
> I started having students sign up for books (I keep a clipboard at the desk
> for students to sign up for books), but I am just wondering whether there is
> a better way.

At first, I was going to respond directly to Debora,but then I thought
that perhaps we ought to have this discussion on the list, so that we
might all benefit.

One solution that many of us use, is to buy multiple copies. While that
solves the problem, it eventually leaves us with another one. Eventually
even the most popular books fade in popularity. At one time I had two
shelves of the Harry Potter books, 3-5 copies of each, and I couldn't
keep them on the shelves. Today I have one copy of each on the shelf.
The rest are in a box in the back. Same thing with the Lord of the Rings
books.

I think I've got all of my Twilight books back, but for most of the year
I had none on the shelf, and I own 3-4 copies of each one. When they
drop in popularity I'll do the same thing.

As for circulating the books, I've discovered that the kids generally
just pass them around. I supposed that if I charged fines that might not
happen as much.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian