Again, due to the number or requests, a HIT for traveling to Savannah:
(Yes I have read "Midnight in the garden..." recommended by many!
________________________________
My sister lives in Savannah and we visit often.  Don't visit without getting
pralines from River Street Sweets, having pizza at Vinnie Van GoGo's, lunch at Mrs.
Wilkes' or Lady and Sons, or ice cream at Leopold's.   Make sure you also take a
GreyLine trolley tour.  Their guides don't have a canned speech, so if you get on
and off at different points even if you ride the same route you won't hear the
exact same tour.

Have fun!  I hope you make it before it gets too hot and too gnatty!  Make sure you
bring bug spray.  Avon's Skin So Soft works best.

they offer a really great "gray line" tour where you can ride around in an open
sided trolley thing and hear about places like Juliet Lowe's home (founder of the
Girl Scouts) and the house where the Midnight in the Garden of good ........the
thing I really liked about it, is you can get off and shop and they come by again
in 20 min. or something so you can move around and see what you like and get back
on and pick up the tour.
Have fun!  It has 23 gardens and is a beautiful Southern town.  I had thought when
I was in the 8th grade and went there w/ my GS troop that I would go there for my
honeymoon....wonderful walking town if it is not too hot!  but plan on it being hot
and humid!

My daughter is in school there and some of my family used to live there. Climb the
Tybee Island lighthouse, visit Fort Jackson, the Juliet Gordon Lowe house (if you
were a girl scout), Paula Deen's restaurant, walk the shops of River Street, see
the waving girl statue, visit the cemetery from Midnight in the Garden of Good and
Evil. Antique shops, carriage rides, riverboat dinner cruise, shop the SCAD
(Savannah College of Art and Design) store for original artworks, see Forrest
Gump's bench, etc. Don't forget to spend some time at the beach! You missed the
azaleas but I'm attaching a couple of pictures for you....Have a great trip!
My husband and I traveled to Savannah last fall, before AASL in Charlotte,
and loved it! We stayed at a great, inexpensive roadside motel that was
within walking distance of much that Savannah had to offer, and easy bus
distance to other parts. We walked a TON. The place we stayed at was the
Thunderbird Inn (http://thethunderbirdinn.com/) and we would highly
recommend it. Definitely don't miss spending time in Forsyth Park, and be
sure to walk along the waterfront (riverfront, actually).

If you have time and the transportation, we'd highly recommend a drive to Beaufort,
South Carolina.  A beautiful little town to walk around in, right on the water.
Known to lovers of Pat Conroy's novels.  Very pretty.

My mom and I went there last summer. Have tried the Ellis Inn? They have a website
and it is a historical hotel in the middle of town. We thought the rates were
really not too bad. If fact, just around the corner from Paula Deen's restaurant
Lady & Sons. A note on that, the line starts up around 8am (but they don't actually
start taking names until 9) to sign up for a reservation that day. Don't be
discouraged by waiting in line though, I had a blast talking with others around me!
I waited in line about 1 1/4 hr. Once they start taking names it goes quick. The
good news is when you get there at your time, they whisk you right in!
A feet saver: they have trolleys that you pay a one-day pass to use. They are open
air and the drivers are very knowledgeable and each one has a slightly different
twist on the stories they tell as they drive you around. The great thing is that
you can get on/off as often as you like and the stops are many. We never had to
walk far to get back to a pickup point and they are marked with signs on the
streets. What we didn't know til the end of the day was that if we bought a second
day pass we could get it for $10 rather than the $25.00 original charge. It is well
worth the price, but we used it both days. You can pick up the trolleys at the
city's visitor center which is also a museum. Plan to spend some time just roaming
the "squares" where there are huge trees and park benches.
If you get a chance I would highly recommend you read and watch the movie "Midnight
in the Garden of Good and Evil" which is set in Savannah. It was so fun to see the
sites that are described in the book and shot in the movie!
I loved Savannah! It was not a huge place and the people were so friendly there! I
hope you have as much fun as we did.

Susan, I haven't been to Savannah since a trip back in Jr. High School (1980), but
it is on my list of to-do's!  I live in the NW corner of Georgia and Savanna is in
the opposite southern corner.  Anyway, if you haven't read "Midnight in the Garden
of Good and Evil," you need to read it!  I was so blown away by this Savannah
culture.  One of the big highlights is one of the ghost tours...hope to do that
myself one day.  Also, the movie of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil does
not hold a candle to the book!

You have to be sure to take a carriage or trolley ride/tour of the historic
district.  Also, be sure to visit River Street.  Not sure what your interests are,
but there are also some civil war forts nearby, Fort Pulaski and McAlister, and
Juliette Gordon Lowe’s birthplace/house.  Also Tybee Island beach is within driving
distance.  Have a great trip!

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu