That brings up an important collaboration point.   Just do it.  Work with your
public library.  After all, we have the same mission.

Here are three cool ways our public librarian works with our school library:

1) all (6th or 8th?) grade classes visit in the fall and those who don't have a
public library card sign up for one.  It helps when students are doing research
projects and need to use the online consortium to get books from one of the other
libraries.  Sharing power!!

2) on early out days, our public library usually sees an influx of students who
would otherwise be in school --- so he did a book discussion group.  On my end, I
promoted it, found out who needed a copy of the book and worked with them to ILL
(interlibrary loan) copies.  I also helped arrange with transportation dept to get
a bus to drop them off on early out day at the library.

3) next week, he's coming to talk to a grade level at a time (6 presenatations to
150 students each) about the fabulous summer reading program they have planned!!

Marcia

P.S.  Full disclosure:  I'm on the public library board of trustees.  In our state,
the school district gets to appoint a liaison to the Public library board.  It's a
weird rule, but it works our good for us!

Marcia Dressel, K-5 Librarian @ the
Elementary and Intermediate Schools
Osceola, WI
dressel@osceola.k12.wi.us <mailto:dressel@osceola.k12.wi.us>