Hello, Everyone…

Over the past few days I have gotten an abundance of email from people
requesting information about book trailers.  During all of this
correspondence, more than a few people have expressed some trepidation about
not being “creative enough” to produce a book trailer that they’d be
comfortable sharing at BTFA, when some of the trailers that are out there
are so elaborate and wonderful.  Those comments really got me to thinking
about the power and effectiveness of book trailers and I thought I’d share
my own feelings on the subject—and hopefully, give some people the
motivation to get those creative juices flowing.  J

First, let me say that I am blown away by some of the fantastic trailers
that are out there. (Think Analine Johnson—OMG she rocks and I am so very
honored she shares her stuff with us so freely!!!!)  Some of the amateur
trailers are honestly so good they look like they were done professionally.
*I am thrilled when we get those kinds of trailers at BTFA*.  I am also
thrilled though, when we get a trailer produced using Animoto that was
created by a 5th grade student and uses only four images.  (By the way two
of the top five most-downloaded trailers at BTFA are exactly that!)

Remember the movie Field of Dreams and the line, “if you build it, they will
come”?  With book trailers, it’s been my experience that “if you book
trailer it they will read.”  *For kids,* what I’m discovering is, it they
TRULY doesn’t matter to them what kind of program was used to create the
trailer.  They don’t care about the fantastic effects or the fact that a
trailer took hours and hours to create.  *We* care about those things—and
honestly *for ME *as an adult…heck yeah, *I’d* much rather see a trailer
that knocks my socks off, especially when I know how much time it took to
create.  (For the record, I spend a LONG time on the trailers I create
personally, and will probably continue to do so, because, well—that’s just
how I roll.)   For kids, though—as much as it amazes me to realize it, when
it comes to book trailers enticing them to read books—they really don’t
care.

Animoto has taken some hits from people because they look “canned” and the
user doesn’t have enough creative control.  I felt that way in the beginning
too.  The more I sit back and watch *the kids* though—the more attention I
pay to *what they watch and then CLAMOR to find the book for*—the more I am
seeing that the Animoto trailers with the rockin’ or rappin’ music are the
trailers that do this.

What does all this mean?  To me, it means—if you’re nervous about sharing
your trailer because you think it’s “not blingy” enough—don’t be!  If your
goal is to entice kids to read books, then jump in and get started—using
Animoto—it’s the easiest thing out there! Once you’ve created a couple, you
will find that you just naturally want to tweak them and make them better.  You
will probably also find that trailer creation can become a bit of an
addiction and you’ll be motivated to learn other, more complicated programs.

I would like to close with the fact that I am in NO WAY trying to disrespect
anyone who spends hours to get their trailers just right.  Like I’ve said
many times, I spend hours on my own trailers, and I absolutely LOVE the
trailers that look like a professional created them.  I’m just sharing what
I’m noticing the *kids* are into and what influences them to read.  That’s
the bottom line for me—the kids and matching them to books.

OK, I’ll hush now.  I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed end of the
school year!

~Teresa

--
Teresa Schauer