This was the topic of discussion with my IT director this morning.

I'll first say that he is very conservative and tends to filter rather than
risk problems. Having said that, it is a HUGE step forward that he came in
to discuss this yesterday and again today (I was supposed to research it
but haven't had time!). In the past, he would have done what he thought
best and left it at that.

However, the reading I have now done does cause some concern, IMO. Not
simply the copy and images that may be porn, but the links that can lead to
other sites.

His question to me: Does the educational value of Wikipedia outweigh the
potential pornagraphy to which students *could* be exposed? With a
background in journalism and definite opinions about First Amendment
rights, I am conflicted at this point and would love input from others.

Today is our last day of school for students. As such, he and I ended the
discussion by saying we would monitor the issue over the summer and revisit
before the start of school in August.

Thanks for any help,

Paula J.

Paula Joseph-Johnson