Good Morning, All:  Here is my original post:

*Hello All:

I am starting to create my book order for next year and I am wondering if
any of you working in a high school have purchased the Girl with the Dragon
Tattoo or the second and soon third book in the series for your library
and/or if there has been any interest from your students.  I have read the
first two and really enjoyed them, but there are some seriously graphic
scenes in both books.  There is apparently a movie in the works, which
always drums up interest, plus, they are compulsively readable crime/mystery
novels.  I just want to get a feel for how all of you are handling this
series that seems to be rapidly gaining popularity.

Thanks so much--I'll post a hit if there is interest.*

The responses mostly indicated that librarians were directing their students
to the public library for these books.  A couple of people had purchased the
first book and were waiting to see what the circulation was like before they
made any moves regarding purchasing the rest of the series.  Finally, I got
a response from a librarian in Sweden, where the books were originally
published, who said she had the books in her library, though she did not
suggest them to all students.

I, myself, am still a bit on the fence.  I have *Push* on my shelf, which is
very graphic as well, so why not this?  I think I am going to wait a bit and
see if my students really start coming in and asking about the books.  The
Swedish movie is out in America, but I think once they make the Hollywood
version, much like when the Lovely Bones came out, there will be some
demand.

Additionally, for those of you who enjoyed reading the books, there was a
really interesting article in the NY Times Magazine this weekend regarding
the author and the drama surrounding his estate.  It was an interesting
read.

I thank all who responded for their perspective!  It is always so helpful to
see what others are doing!

Best,

Teresa Tartaglione
Campus Librarian
Martin Luther King, Jr. Educational Campus
New York, NY 10023

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu