Switch on the night by Ray Bradbury
Tale of Despereaux by Kate Dicamila
Toys go Out
The Red Kayak
Woodrunner by Paulson
Woodsong by Paulson
Hanging on to Max by Nechard
Very far away from anywhere else by Le Guin (an oldie)
Alex Flinn's Breathing Underwater.
The Outsiders

I have had success with some of the Chicken Soup for Teenage soul
books....collections of short stories on themes of Courage, Responsibility, etc.
I would be afraid of over-kill though, most of the stories are real tear-jerkers or
heavy-hitting morality reads.  Too often or too much and the students just tune
out.   There are are a lot of story collections and Readers Digest magazines that
they could read from too.

Touching Spirit Bear by Mikaelsen
Schooled by Korman
Full Tilt by Shusterman

Check out the Guys Read website for great ideas!
http://www.guysread.com/books/

I recommend "Voss, or How I Come to America and Am Hero, Mostly."

Does it have to be novels?  I love reading short stories aloud to older students.
They love Edgar Allan Poe, Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery", Richard Connell's "The
Most Dangerous Game", Frank Stockton's "The Lady or the Tiger", and O. Henry's "The
Gift of the Magi."

maybe some from Say you're one of them (an Oprah pick) or Unaccustomed earth by
Lahiri--or from Athletic shorts by Crutcher--

Susan Johnston, Librarian
Central High School Library
2200 S Roosevelt St
Aberdeen, SD  57401
sue.johnston@k12.sd.us<mailto:sue.johnston@k12.sd.us><mailto:sue.johnston@k12.sd.us>

Reading is not simply an intellectual pursuit but an emotional and spiritual one.
It lights the candle in the hurricane lamp of self; that's why it survives. There
are book clubs and book Web sites and books on tape and books online. There are
still millions of people who like the paper version, at least for now. And if that
changes—well, what is a book, really? Is it its body, or its soul? Would Dickens
have recognized a paperback of A Christmas
Carol<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1449910416/?tag=nwswk-20>, or, for
that matter, a Braille version? Even on a cell-phone screen, Tiny Tim can God-bless
us, every one. ~~Anna Quindlen

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu