Our county has a policy that if a student owes ANY money to the school system
(library fines, lost text books, band or sports uniforms, etc) they do not get to
participate in the graduation ceremony.  This begins in grade 6 (our middle school)
and continues through junior and senior high school.  So, when my 8th and 9th grade
students get notices to come see me in the library about lost/overdue books/fines,
I point this out to them..  They don't believe me, until I show them the written
policy.  That helps somewhat.  At graduation practice the day before graduation,
they actually pull kids out of line and tell them they will not march the next
evening if they do not pay their fines.  So, we get the money eventually!  We also
have a comic strip posted in our window.....I believe it's Far Side.... that shows
a graduation where the principal is saying to the next diploma recipient, "'whoa,
whoa, not so fast....you still owe a fine from "Green Eggs and Ham" that you
checked out in elementary school" (paraphrased).  Throughout this year, I have sent
notices to students, talked to them face to face, sent letters to parents, and made
phone calls. and I am amazed at how ineffective it all is.  I'm sending out one
last batch of notices on Monday.  After that, we turn all fines over to the
bookkeeper who sends another letter from the principal during the summer.
Sometimes that is "scarier" than getting a letter from the librarians!  Good luck!

Carol H. Peterson
N. B. Clements JHS
Prince George, VA
8047332730