One thing that has helped me to view this entire topic was a conversation I had
with my supervisor when I worked at the public library. I had just had a patron
complaint about a long overdue book that she was interested in checking out. I
turned to my supervisor to wonder aloud why someone would keep a book out so long,
and she made a very interesting point--something to this effect...the library is on
our radar because we are here every day and it is really important to US because it
is what we love and do for a living, but for many people, it is just one of the
many, many things they must do in a day.

Since then, I have moved on from the public library and into the schools. And I can
tell you, as a public library patron I have books overdue at the public library
more often that I like admitting. Some days the public library is another one of
the many places I must take the extra time to go to--along with the bank, baseball
practice for my kids, grocery store, post office , etc.

I'm not saying we should ignore overdue books; I think we should still hold
students accountable. However, it has helped me to "let go" of the emotional
response to overdue books to consider the many other things my students attend to
in a day. Some are caring for their parents or younger siblings. Some work jobs
after school. Some have parents that just don't pay any attention to them or have
parents who are worried about working two jobs and keeping their kids fed.

In addition to the other suggestions received from other librarians, maybe your
administration would be interested in seeing the total dollar amount of books not
recovered at the end of the year. That would translate into $___ that you will have
to spend on replacements rather than on new books.

Stefanie Halliday
BHS Media Cener
Belleville, MI
shalliday@yahoo.com
...I know very little having to do with human beings that doesn't also have to do
with connection. We want to be noticed, we want to be good enough, we want friends,
and we want to be loved. We want our place to stand. --Chris Crutcher, "King of the
Mild Frontier"