From: School Library Media & Network Communications on behalf of Nancy Willard
Sent: Tue 5/25/2010 7:04 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Online reputation and hiring - teachble moment

Yeah, I know you are out or on your way out of school. But tuck this
into your Internet safety teachable moment files:

SURVEY: JOB SEEKERS REJECTED
DUE TO ONLINE INFORMATION

Seventy percent of hiring managers say they've decided not to hire an
applicant because of information they have found online, according to a
survey commissioned by Microsoft of 1,200 human relations managers and
consumers. While most of those surveyed stated they research candidates
online and think they are justified in doing so, only seven percent of
consumers believed that recruiters check out potential candidates online
when making hiring decisions. Over one-half of managers surveyed agreed
that data on lifestyle, inappropriate written text and inappropriate
photos were types of information that could result in rejecting a
candidate. An overview of the findings from the survey can be accessed
at http://www.microsoft.com/
privacy/dpd/research.aspx.

Nancy

--