Here are the responses I received about Kindles. Many thanks to those who shared
information with me. It is appreciated!

"We now have 8 "Library Kindles"  that do circulate among the students of
middle school, high School and faculty and staff.

Yes, we have the middle school parents "sign off" on content and unit
liability.

I have set up a school credit card account with Amazon that I do not
store on line(I input info in every time I order something and then
delete the credit card info with Amazon so borrowers cannot order
anything).

We loan to reluctant readers and avid readers(more usage).  We limit a
week loan period with renewal if no one is waiting.  It has been a
success(students now recommend books for me to purchase as well as
faculty). Presently we have 130 books on our account.  Faculty & staff
try it out mostly for trying it out before purchasing their own.

Hope this helps."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We do have 2 Kindles in our middle school media center. Teachers check
them out all the time, but once I give students the permission form
their parents must sign too, students generally decide to use them
only in the media center.

Before I lend the Kindle to anyone, I "deregister" it so no one can
charge books to my account.

Hope this helps somewhat-"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I have just gotten an iPAd.  I hope an app for downloading ebooks fro libraries
will soon come out.  I really like the iPad for reading both books and web pages."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not have any Kindles in the library but I am managing the ones the Physical
Education department bought with a grant.  We have not really started using them
much because of the difficulty in getting them loaded and available.

In order to buy books for the kindle you have to have a credit card.  They are not
set up for any other way of funding.  All these Kindles are on my account and I
have my personal credit card to download books and I will have to have the school
reimburse me.
I have been reassured that the students cannot buy anything from the Kindle itself."

Diane Greenholt, Librarian
South Western High School
200 Bowman Road
Hanover,  PA 17331