Richie's Picks: IT'S A BOOK by Lane Smith,  Roaring Brook, August 2010,
32p., ISBN: 978-1-59643-606-0

"Words in papers, words in books
Words on TV, words for  crooks
Words of comfort, words of peace
Words to make the fighting  cease
Words to tell you what to do
Words are working hard for you
Eat  your words but don't go hungry
Words have always nearly hung  me"
 -- Tom Tom Club, "Wordy Rappinghood"

Remember the big to-do in certain  quarters over a young character's
innocent use of the word  "scrotum" in Susan Patron's Newbery Medal-winning THE
HIGHER POWER OF  LUCKY?  Well, that's what came to mind this week at Book Expo
as I  listened to a bookseller telling me how  she is sure that none of her
school library  customers will be buying Lane Smith's delightful,
literacy-promoting  picturebook IT'S A BOOK.  As with the Patron book, the supposed

controversy involves a word.

The deal here is that one of the story's three animal  characters is
identified and depicted as a jackass (male donkey)  and that Lane then subtly
employs a humorous play on the  word (being that the other dictionary meaning of
jackass is  "fool.")

I am sure that if a bookseller has convinced  himself or herself that
school library customers won't be buying the book,  then he or she will
inevitably become part of the same process of  self-censorship that certain
booksellers and school librarians practiced  with the Patron book.  And that's a
shame because if  this one word was not in IT'S A BOOK then everybody would,
instead, be talking about its substantial award potential and its capacity
for encouraging kids to get away from the computer and pick up a  book.

"How do you scroll down?
"I don't.  I turn the page.  It's a  book."

 IT'S A BOOK is a fun little story about a monkey  who is reading a book
and the baffled jackass who is asking him questions  about how it works.

"Can it text?
"No.
"Tweet?
"No.
"Wi-Fi?
"No.
"Can it do this?  ZOOT
"No...it's a book."

Then, when the monkey persuades him to actually look at  the book, Jackass
becomes totally engaged in the story and does not want to  return it.

And so the monkey prepares to go to the library (where he  can borrow
another book) and the jackass tells him, "Don't worry, I'll  charge it up when
I'm done!"

The mouse character, who earlier appears visually (as  part of another play
on words), but who has -- to this point -- been  silent, responds:

"You don't have to...it's a book, Jackass."

Now, if I am a kid who hears about this book and wants  to check it out --
and I am betting that IT'S A BOOK is  going to get a considerable amount of
press (in addition to the  great trailer already posted on Amazon) -- then
what am I going to  think as far as its absence from my elementary or middle
school library.  Again, this is an exceptional picturebook by an  A-list
award-winning, best-selling author/illustrator; a book that  is promoting
literacy and poking fun at those people who are forever glued  to their computer
screens.

I'm quite curious to see how this one will play out.   Especially when IT'S
A BOOK starts showing up on a bunch of Best of the  Year lists.  Including
mine.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
author, I  Second That Emotion: Sharing Children's and Young Adult  Poetry
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu