My original posting:
I am getting ready to teach 6th graders about web site evaluation.  I have many
good web sites that are not valid (Dog Island, DHMO.org, etc.) but I am looking for
a few web sites that, while bizarre and/or odd, are legitimate.  Perhaps it's
because I haven't had much coffee today, but I can't come up with any.  Do you know
of some that would be good to use with 6th graders?

The responses:

I do this with my 7th graders.  Last year, one of the sites we used was about Mike
the Headless Chicken.  http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org
Most of the site is to promote Fruita, Colorado's annual festival, but there is
information about Mike.  One of the websites we used to verify was Life.com's
photogallery for Mike - http://www.life.com/image/50866530/in-gallery/26932
Almost all my kids thought this was made up - it was hilarious to see their faces
when I showed them the pics from Life and told them it was really true.  Do be
warned that the pic of Mike being fed w/ a dropper is a bit graphic, but I just
covered my screen with my hand and let the picture show on the drop-down screen
behind me where I couldn't see it. ;-)

Also, here's a web-archive of the Guinness Book of World Records about Mike:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051123021111/www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=54463

**********

I just used this one to create a lesson. I http://www.bringfido.com/

It's a funny topic but legit.
**********

Bring Fido http://www.bringfido.com/

A website devoted to traveling with your dog -- dog-friendly hotels &
attractions in US & around the world.  A legit site, but kids believe it is a
hoax.
**********

I searched my site, Infotopia ( http://www.infotopia.info ) for these terms :
(odd OR strange) ("web sites" OR websites)

For my efforts I found the following interesting site :

It seems to have a lot of what you are looking for, but be forewarned :
several of the links are DEAD.  Anyway my favorite site so far is the
Darwin Awards ( http://www.DarwinAwards.com/ ).

Thanks to all who responded!

Angela

Angela O'Kane