I just learned that due to new student accounting software we are having difficulty
pulling class email addresses, so I just may be doing paper pencil again this year!
 However, below are the responses that I received. If and when I switch to online,
I'll be using Sign-up Genius as it seems to fit my scheduling needs the best!

*       Sign-up Genius:  http://www.signupgenius.com/
<http://www.signupgenius.com/>

*       I would do a spreadsheet in Google Apps

*       It sounds to me like you could create a free Google calendar, give read and
write access to all your volunteers, and do it that way. They could simply input
their names for the day and hours they want to volunteer. If something comes up and
they have to cancel, they just go to the calendar and delete their entry. Very easy
to do and costs nothing!

*       I used an online Volunteer format for the first time last spring for my
Book Fair.  I was very pleased with how easy it was to use for both me and the
volunteers.  No cost to schools and volunteer organizations.  Ability to send email
messages.  Reminders automatically sent to the volunteers.  My volunteers told me
how much they liked it, too, rather than signing up on a form and waiting to get a
confirmation note or phone call.  I would highly recommend it.
http://www.volunteerspot.com/ <http://www.volunteerspot.com/>

*       I am going to set up some Google calendars - lots in my district  use them
and say they are easy and efficient!

*       You could try Doodlepoll.   (http://www.doodle.com)     It's very easy to
set up dates/times and then people can check off the times they want to come in.
Users (volunteers) do NOT have to register.  Only the person who sets up the
schedule needs a Doodle Account.    I use it in teaching and in a community
organization.      A while ago Wall St. Journal had an article (Online Help for
Parents Who Volunteer)  on apps to help people who work with Volunteers.    The
article suggested Doodle, which I mentioned above, VolunteerSpot and Yahoo Groups.

Sue

Susan Miles
Eastern Elementary Library
1600 Eastern Ave.