From: Sheri Zachary <zachary88@ymail.com>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 10:07:58 PM
Subject: HIT: free or cheap bookmark sources

All,

Here are the suggestions I got re: free or cheap bookmark sources and ideas –
many thanks to all who sent ideas!

1.       Write to publishers. They frequently have free bookmarks as
promotions
for upcoming releases. Another good source is community action groups like the
D.A.R.E. program through your police department, R.I.F. and other public service
groups.

2.       I like to design my own bookmarks, too, when I want something really
specialized. I use Publisher or other desktop printing program to design them 8
to a page (each bookmark is 2.125" x 5.5"), leaving a quarter inch margin all
around so the print isn't cut off on the bookmarks on the edge. I print them
on cardstock with a color laser printer and cut them apart. It's relatively
inexpensive. I can print 25 pages and get 200 bookmarks, enough for a whole
grade level at my school.

3.       We go to stores that sell wallpaper and ask for their outdated
sample
books. Then we use the paper cutter at school and cut our own bookmarks.  The
students love all the choices of color, design, and texture (two people
suggested this idea)

4.       I go to home depot or Lowes and get their paint cards and cut them
up
to bookmark width, the kids love them! I just ask if I can take about 200
samples and I just take a few of each... I don't count them and I end up with
enough for a few months then I go back again. They are always very generous... I
have found some let me take more so I don't have to go back for awhile.

5.       Try this...take the covers off of withdrawn books and cut them into
bookmarks. Then laminate. I saw this last spring and thought it was a great
idea. You could also use posters and other printed materials.

6.       Go to
http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/free_printable_bookmarks.htm
from which you can print bookmarks.

7.       Last year I did printable on cardstock. Scholastic had templates
with 3
on a page

8.       It surprised me no end to discover this, but my younger students
prefer
bright colored construction paper strips to any printed bookmarks I've ever put
out.; there are always lots of half and quarter sheets of construction paper
left over after classroom teachers prepare art projects or bulletin board
letters. I just watch the scrap pile by the staff room paper cutter and slice
any leftover pieces into inch-wide strips. It's free, it recycles resources and
the little ones really love it.

Sheri Zachary
Librarian
Tacony Academy Charter School