<LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> wrote: -----

To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
From: MARIA DOSS <mariaedoss@MSN.COM>
Sent by: School Library Media & Network Communications
<LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Date: 09/27/2010 05:39PM
Subject: Re: Leveled library rant

I have spoken to a number of you off list, but as this is an ongoing topic,
I wanted to ask all you a couple questions. First of all, our library
(K-12) is AR leveled for all the fiction and some of the non-fiction.
Teachers and students go by the assumption that an AR level means a grade
level and Teresa Schauer's article about the misconceptions/realities of
AR: http://pettuslibrary.net/misconceptions.htm helped me a lot. It is
something I want to understand clearly so I can go to my administrators
with knowledge.

Here are my questions:
Do you consider AR levels to equate to grade levels?
If so, how do you explain the reality that many "older" books (eg., Young
Adult and especially newer books) are leveled in the 4's?
What do you do when a student/teacher/parent won't allow their student to
read at the lower end of their AR level (eg., the previously mentioned
teens who are confounded why "their" books are leveled in the 4's or a 4th
grader who is told she can only read a 6 point or above)?
Whose responsibility is it to routinely train teachers on how to use the AR
system?

Thanks for any input you have.
Maria Doss
Orcas Island School Librarian
Orcas Island, WA
mariaedoss@msn.com

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu
 * LM_NET Supporters:
 http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/