Most of the answers I have received have leaned towards the Nook.

In a nutshell, here's why (thanks, Elisa!)

1.  B&N is very accessible for problems I might encounter and they offer free
classes in using the Nook.

2.  The public library system will lend e-books to Nooks and Sony E-readers but not
the kindle.

3.  When in B&N, you may read any book for one hour.

4.  I don't need 3G because Wi-Fi is readily available and only needed for the
shopping for books.

***** I don't think there's an argument for a Kindle when talking about EPUB.
Simply put - Nook will, Kindle won't.

And that is the deciding factor for me.

And I found an article from US News & World Report  9/14/2010 called The 10 Best
Gadgets and Services for Baby Boomers.

I'll copy the bit about the Nook here.:
"Barnes & Noble Nook
Electronic books and electronic book readers are catching on fast because of their
impressive capabilities. Digital texts can cost less than half the price of their
hardcover cousins, a new book can be downloaded wirelessly in 30 seconds, and
hand-held e-readers can replace walls of shelving by storing well over a thousand
books. Of course, the question then becomes: What happens to your electronic
library should your device die or you decide that you want to shop at another
e-book store?
Barnes & Noble's Nook e-reader ($149-$199) tries to alleviate these concerns by
using an open e-book format called EPUB that allows you to lend electronic books to
friends and is compatible with competing e-readers, such as those produced by Sony
and the Kobo from Borders. So, should you break your Nook or simply want a
different model in the future, your electronic library can come with you. (By
contrast, Amazon's Kindle and Apple's iPad try to lock buyers into using their
stores exclusively.) The EPUB format is also backed by the likes of Google, which
is making more than a million public domain books available online. Lastly, if you
don't have your Nook with you, Barnes & Noble has free apps for reading its e-books
on an iPhone, BlackBerry, or
Android<http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2010/09/14/the-10-best-gadgets-and-services-for-baby-boomers.html>-based
 smartphone.

Karen DeFrank, Librarian