I received some great comments, although we agreed that it is difficult to find
true research. Here is what I received:

Yikes!!!!!!

Number 1
Everything IS NOT on the internet.

Number 2
Are we encouraging surface examination of research topics? Research includes
examining the work and research of others. Their work is contained in print
material.

Number 3
A book never goes down in an outage. a book is portable and never runs out of
juice. A book is replaceable.

Number 3b
Books are browsable. We are teaching how to select and synthesize information.
How do we find the gems?

Number 4
The world is going to print and electronic for at least the next ten years...
you are handicapping the students by not providing them the opportunity to do
research in a variety of sources.

Number 5
What about literature? Is he going to spend the money on e-books, e-readers and
I-Pads and an overdrive subscription.
Please note to him that you will be merely renting a license and will not "Own"
those titles.

Lisa Von Drasek
This is a subject that I have spent some time researching, and I have attached
some articles that relate to this subject.

The Web shatters focus rewires brain
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/05/ff_nicholas_carr/all/1
Online literacy is a lesser kind
http://chronicle.com/article/Online-Literacy-Is-a-Lesser/28307
Books vs. Internet
http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Review/EDUCAUSEReviewMagazineVolume45/IndividualKnowledgeintheIntern/202336

Do school libraries need books
http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/do-school-libraries-need-books/

I google making us stupid
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/6868/

And for the other side
Is the Internet making us stupid  http://www.mpiweb.org/Archive?id=21860

Hope this helps.  Rita Faber, Librarian,
If he is considering cutting your budget for print resources...he needs to know
that the money should at least be applied to journal databases for the students
to obtain articles of merit. College professors will not accept information from
websites...they must be using journal articles that can be obtained from online
databases...these are actually print resources in electronic format. We need to
provide opportunities for students to prepare college level research papers
before they leave high school. I taught college prep composition classes -
students were required to be using journal articles.  Also, multiple students
can use e-reference books and databases at the same time - cutting down the cost
of having a paper version of an article or subject area non e-book for each
student.

Tell him - don't cut the budget...the internet, while it may be a good place to
start research, it is not a great place to find credible sources - specifically
if we want the students to learn how to write a high quality paper.

If I run across articles for you I will forward them on to you. (Do you use
JSTOR, EBSCO Host, Gale?)
Good Luck!

Christine Schein, M.A. Ed

Ah, but the Library isn't all about research.  I spend the bulk of my budget on
FICTION books, and they are flying out the door!  Kids ARE reading.
"LHommedieu, Anne" ALHommedieu@NRWCS.ORG
Does your media center only provide research?  I spend almost all of my book
money on reading books- biography and fiction.

Connie R. Spurlock <connie.spurlock@southwestschools.org
 don't have the research but I used non fiction books to address things like :
text features
Keywords
location and access in print
notetaking etc.
I was able to give each child a book to practice with after giving the lesson.
Kids loved it. They like having hands on.
I know you can do that online, but how often does the laptop suddenly run out of
power...do you have one for each child?
I hope you get the "research" to prove the value.
Jean Koch
I do an activity with my students to "prove" that books are a viable source of
research.  In the activity, I survey a class full of students to find out which
is a "quicker" source of information: the Internet, or a book (in this case a
dictionary).  They will almost 100% side with the Internet/computer.  For the
activity, I find two students with similar ability and have them race to look up
a word.  Almost every time, the dictionary will win (unless the computer student
is an amazing typist).  This helps to prove that books are often the most viable
option for finding information.  Could a demonstration like this help to
persuade your administrator?  Brian Johnson
 would try a practical approach. Ever have students who aren't allowed on the
computers? How often are computers down? Are there enough computers for each
student to research independently? Is technology up and running, consistently,
including printers, etc at the start of each school year?

That being said, I would look at investing in reference that has combo of
print/ebooks (Gale has great offerings) and spend most of my money on keeping
fiction current.

Rachelle Wynkoop, MLIS

to college, professors are up in arms that they cannot do any primary research
(ie books, documents etc) and isn't the purpose of K -12 to prepare students for
higher education -- but not sure where the documentation for this stance would
be found ---

I know when I worked in VA, our standards listed printed resources so I could
always point to that for justification

Joanne C. Walsh

---------------------------------------

Sometimes Internet sites are not good sources of authentic information about a
topic.(WIKIPEDIA is a prime example of a site that is actually a blog and people
put spurious information on it all the time) A text is different in that
publishing companies hesitate to spend money publishing something that isn't
factual or which won't be evaluated well.

Students need to be able to use text as well as online sources of information.

They should have to go through the effort to read, paraphrase and systhesize
written information from a text since it's so easy to copy and paste with
digital text...students do that without much  hesitation at all and, according
to articles I've read,  some don't even know it's wrong!

Michele Guthrie
Thanks to all!
Cayla Armatti, LMS
Brainerd HS,