Hi

My initial request  (below) was for a book like "The Giver" to be used as a read
aloud for a sixth grade class that has a listening level of approximately 3rd
grade.  What the teacher is looking for is a book similar to "The Giver" with ideal
(utopian) communities.  This will be a culmination of a unit they are doing.  I
would appreciate any suggestions.  I have checked the archives but have not seen
any hits for this question.  The only books I have thought of or found are not the
right level.

thanks so much

Susanne Sharkey

> A 6th grade teacher at our school would like to
use "The Giver" in his classes as a read-aloud, but it has been brought
to his attention that one of his classes has a listening level of
approximately 3rd Grade.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a book
that is similar to Lowry's The Giver to use in it's place.  I have been
checking, but haven't quite found what he was looking for.  Any and all
suggestions are welcome.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu