New Year Greetings to members of both lists!

I'm back after a holiday break, with the results of my search for "mentor
book" titles.  Heartfelt thanks to all who sent such thoughtful, helpful
suggestions!

Here is a list that includes most of the information I received.  I
didn't check all of these, and I know there are many more, but this is
certainly a good start for anyone who is interested in the topic.

Thanks again!

Alexander, Lloyd. The Black Caldron. New York: Holt, Rinehart,
     Winston, 1965.

Arter, Jim. Gruel and Unusual Punishment. New York: Delacorte
     Press, 1991.

Beatty, Patricia. Charley Skedaddle. New York: Morrow, 1987.

Bellairs, John. The House With a Clock In It's Walls. New York:
     Dial Press, 1973.

Block, Francesca Lia. Weetzie Bat. New York: Harper & Row, 1989.

Burch, Robert. Christmas With Ida Early. New York: Viking Press,
     1983.

Burch, Robert. Ida Early Comes Over the Mountain. New York:
     Viking Press, 1980.

Byars, Betsy Cromer. Cracker Jackson. New York: Viking Kestrel,
     1985.

Caines, Jeanette Franklin. Just Us Women. New York: Harper & Row,
     1982.

Cleary, Beverly. Dear Mr. Henshaw. New York: Morrow, 1983.

Cohen, Barbara. Thank You, Jackie Robinson. New York: Lothrop,
     Lee, & Shepard Co., 1974.

Crutcher, Chris. Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. New York:
     Greenwillow Books, 1993.

Daly, Niki. Not So Fast Songololo. New York: Atheneum, 1986.

DeFelice, Cynthia. Weasel.

Fox, Mem. Wilfrid Gordon Mcdonald Partridge. Brooklyn, New York:
     Kane/Miller Book Publishers, 1984.

Furlong, Monica. Wise Child. New York: Knopf, 1987.

Green, Patricia Baird. The Sabbath Garden. New York: Lodestar,
     1993.

Greene, Bette. Summer of My German Soldier. New York: Dial Press,
     1973.

Holland, Isabelle. The Man Without a Face. Philadelphia and New
     York: J. B. Lippincott COmpany, 1972.

Kipling, Rudyard. Captains Courageous.

Konigsburg, E.L. The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

Lee, Gus. China Boy. New York: Dutton, 1991.

LeGuin, Ursula K. A Wizard of Earthsea.

Lowry, Lois. Anastasia's Chosen Career.

MacDonald, Betty. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Philadelphia: Lipincott,
     1957.

MacLachlan, Patricia. Journey. New York: Delacorte Press, 1991.

Magorian, Michelle. Goodnight Mr. Tom. New York: Harper & Row,
     1981.

Montgomery, L.M. Anne of Green Gables.

Myers, Walter D. Motown and Didi. New York: Viking Kestrel, 1984.

Myers, Walter D. The Young Landlords. New York: Viking Press,
     1979.

Nixon, Joan Lowery. A Family Apart. New York: Bantam Books, 1987.

Paterson, Katherine. The Great Gilly Hopkins. New York: Crowell,
     1978.

Paulsen, Gary. The Cookcamp. New York: Orchard Books, 1991.

Polacco, Patricia. Mrs. Katz and Tush.

Ransome, Arthur. Coot Club. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1935.

Rylant, Cynthia. Missing May.

Sachar, Louis. There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom. New York:
     Knopf, 1987.

Spinelli, Jerry. Maniac Magee. Boston: Little, Brown, 1990.

Stevenson, Robert Louis. Kidnapped.

Voigt, Cynthia. Homecoming. New York: Atheneum, 1981.

Voigt, Cynthia. Solitary Blue. New York: Atheneum, 1983.

Vogel, Margaret Ilse. Tikhon. New York: Harper & Row, 1984.

Zindel, Paul. A Begonia for Miss Appelbaum. New York: Harper &
     Row, 1989.

Zindel, Paul. My Darling, My Hamburger: A Novel. New York: Harper
     & Row, 1969.

Zindel, Paul. The Pigman. New York: Harper & Row, 1968.

Zindel, Paul. The Pigman's Legacy. New York: Harper & Row, 1980.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS/INCOMPLETE CITATIONS:

Childress, (?). Rainbow Jordon. (Alice?)

Hadley Irwin's book (?)

Sans Famille by Hector Mallot

                Thomas B. Smith <tbsst3@icarus.lis.pitt.edu>
        Generations Together: An Intergenerational Studies Program
                          University of Pittsburgh
~ * ~ * ~ "...and, while you're at it, leave the night-light on ~ * ~ * ~ *
                inside the birdhouse in your soul."  (TMBG)

LM_NET Archive Home