Dear Fellow LM_Netters:

I need some advice!  Please let me know your thoughts on this
problem:

I am teaching an Information Professions class (a foundations-type
class) at Texas Woman's University in the School of Library and
Information Studies.  Because I believe strongly in the value of
networking via Internet and listserves, last semester I devised an
assignment which involved having students sign on to discussion
lists in their areas of interest.  Several of my school library
people monitored LM_Net during this time.

One of the questions in the assignment required them to send a
message to their discussion list.  To prevent several similar
messages appearing, I required them to send a group message so you
saw the message only once.  The question asked for advice on
preparing themselves for the real world of school libraries --
coursework you recommended, technology expertise required, etc.
The students received *wonderful* responses from a number of you,
very practical and worthwhile advice.  (By the way, THANK YOU for
doing this for them!) They were thrilled with the responses and
very excited about the potential of listserves.  Some have
maintained contact with some of you and many continue to follow
several listserves.

My problem is this:  I want to give the same assignment this
semester, because that part of it especially was so worthwhile, but
I fear that the response won't be as forthcoming.  Some who wrote
to them last time wrote several pages, and I can understand people
not wanting to do that again several months later.  Do I have a
problem?  I could change the information they ask for, but I want
them to get *practical* advice, not just opinions on issues.
Please respond to me personally with any comments or suggestions
(F_MCGREGOR@TWU.EDU)

Thanks!

Joy McGregor
Texas Woman's University