Sorry this has taken so long to get together.  I did not receive much
information, but I did receive a lot of requests for a HIT.  Perhaps this is
something one of you would like to write a journal article about and get
published!  Apparently, there is not much information about training school
library aides.

*****
"I don't know of printed or online resources but I thought I'd share my
experiences working with 5th grade helpers who come in pairs and handle the
checkout for all my classes so that I don't have to stay at the checkout
desk. I have the 5th graders apply for the job with an application that
doubles as a contract of sorts. They and their parents sign off on listed
job responsibilities and then they write a paragraph telling why they would
make a good library assistant.
It works well to train the selected aides all together so that they are all
hearing the same thing at the same time.  Don't forget important issues
like: privacy, being a good library advocate, setting a good example, teach
rather than "boss" library skills.
I also honor the library aides at the award's assembly at the end of the
year with a certificate of service and a little pin.  I also keep a grade
book - for attendance primarily - and have a standard where they have to
"drop out" after so many unexcused absences or falling behind in class
assignments."
*****
"I would like to suggest a title "Tech Team  Student Technology Assistants
in the Elementary & Middle School" published in 1998 by Linworth
Publishing (Phone:  800-786-5017).  Don't know if it will fit your needs,
but I found the ideas for organizing, training, and evaluating effective
for developing a program and would be helpful in the library as well as
the computer labs or classrooms.  You can get more information at the
author's school web site <http://www.kent.wednet.edu/KSD/DE/>.  Choose
"Technology,", then "The Tech Team: Student Technology Assistants", to
get a pictorial coverage of the program."
*****
"Be careful of who you choose,
I had some last year who just wanted to socialize and work the computer.
This year I'm going to run the computer, I had too many mess ups last
year."
*****
"I'm a media spec. in a large school with a very active, strong media/tech
program.  Volunteers are essential. Our school has a volunteer coordinator
who makes all the contacts and does the scheduling of volunteers. This is
wonderful because it is too time consuming to make the contacts.
The media center secretary does the training/orientation our student workers
who are scheduled through the community service class.  And, yes, we have
had to "fire" them. It's handled through the counseling office. Student
worker performance appraisal is done individually and through their report
cards. And they receive a certificate at the awards assembly.
Volunteers are recognized with gifts etc.
And, yes, volunteers and student workers do different jobs depending on the
needs and their abilities.  Our adults primarily do inventory, put
materials away and help keep the media center open late.  They are also
manage the book fair.   Student work at the check out desk, unpack
materials, set up computers, troubleshoot, run errands within the school
etc.
We couldn't function without these wonderful people!!!"
*****
Thanks to Barbara, Kathy, Gail, Bob, Donna and Mary for their responses, they
gave me some things to think about.  I will update the list if I come across
any other good information.

Monique German
Media Assistant
Powdersville Middle School